Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My Son's too stubborn to use the potty!

Rowsian · 04/06/2013 10:49

Hiya, my 3 year old son knows what a potty is for, can push his pants down and pull them up, can hold a wee for more than four hours and he knows when he's about to wee or poo, but he just won't use the potty and he's frightened of the toilet! I'm at my wits end! I've tried making it part of his routine (when he wakes up, taking him every couple of hours, before he has a bath, etc) but he is just too stubborn!

I've tried sticker charts, prizes, chocolates for when he sits on the potty, letting him choose his own "big boy" pants, letting him choose his own potty, a step stool so he can use the toilet like Daddy.... now I'm all out of ideas.

HELP!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DeepPurple · 04/06/2013 15:23

Have you got a child seat on the toilet? What is it that frightens him about it?

Please
or

elfycat · 04/06/2013 15:45

I trained DD1 at 3 by letting her do it. I googled resistance to toilet training and found a suggestion of leaving it entirely to them. No pressure and any accidents get cleared up without comment/blame. It might be worth having a look. We nicknamed it TLTT (Toddler Led Toilet Training) on another thread.

All I did is remind her where the toilet was and while mopping up accidents say 'Maybe next time'.

It took about 4 days to conquer wee, a bit longer for poo.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.