Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

At.The.End.Of.My.Tether.

funkypigeon · 28/08/2012 20:14

Seriously, I am! And I have no idea what to do about it. Ds will be 4 in October and he is still having up to 8 pooey pants a day. Wees have never been a problem.

He has been diagnosed with faecal impaction, and since Febuary has been on movicol, which has largely resolved the chronic constipation. He has about between 1-3 poos a day when he is on his sachets, currently 3 sachets per day. Today was a particularly bad day because he hadn't had his meds last night, and so was starting to bung up already, and I brought home 8 pooey pants from nursery.

The idea of the movicol from the consultant's point of view was to to clear him out completely, and so advised me to put him back in nappies, which we did back in Febuary. Prior to this we had been training him for 6 months. It was a relief to put him back in nappies, and I thought we could start afresh after him being cleared out. So we've been trying again for the last couple of weeks, to no avail.

He is completely aware of what he's doing, but simply doesn't get that poos go down the toilet. He is not bothered one bit by it either!

I am seriously starting to run out of ideas. Nursery are great with him, very calm and consistent, but I don't know where I'm supposed to go from here. I have tried reward charts, stickers, bribery, pleading (!), poo wants a turn down the toilet etc etc.

Any experiences?

OP's posts:
Please
or

funkypigeon · 28/08/2012 20:49

Bump!

OP's posts:
Please
or

funkypigeon · 28/08/2012 21:03

Shameless bump- anyone?!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

funkypigeon · 28/08/2012 23:51

Bumpity bump!

OP's posts:
Please
or

bronze · 28/08/2012 23:53

I can't help much
Have one who was on meds and is just finally getting there aged 71/2
So just wanted to let York ow you're not alone and you have my sympathy

Please
or

bronze · 28/08/2012 23:54

*you know

Please
or

InelegantlyWasted · 28/08/2012 23:55

I hate to say it but you might have to just wait it out.
It took me almost a year to get DS to stop pooing his pants and I tried everything. Then one day something just clicked in his brain and he suddenly started using the toilet as if he always had done!

Please
or

CouthyMow · 28/08/2012 23:56

My 8.5yo still has this, is still on Movicol, still gets overflow constipation - 2 sachets a day not enough to keep him moving, 3 too much and is explosive.

Please
or

WillNeverGetALicence · 30/08/2012 14:23

No advice sorry.

But plenty of sympathy/empathy here.

I have DS 3.4 yrs. Still pooing in pants. Withholding poo, says poo hurts and is not his friend. Think the withholding is causing poo to get a bit hard and truly you should see the size of the stool when he passes it. It is like he's given birth to a baby wombat or something.

Reading poo goes to pooland has been ineffective so far. he likes the story but it doesn't encourage him to send poo to pooland himself.

Sigh. He goes to preschool in September and I hope that peer pressure will crack it for me.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.