Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

to stop or not stop

cuggles · 06/02/2012 12:11

I have been training my dd (2.3) for five days now and whilst we have had 2/3 wees on potty each day, there have been many accidents. She has told me once yesterday she wants to go and other than that I have asked her. Am I expecting too much that there should be improvement by now?..is she not ready? Or do I continue? She has been dry at night the last fortnight and likes the whole knicker wearing routine, using the potty.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlackSwan · 06/02/2012 22:13

I would keep going. It's early days & it's great that she is positive about wearing knickers and using a potty. Also a breakthrough that she has asked you to go once. From what you say she is doing really really well. However, it sounds like you are (understandably) expecting too much too soon.

I have been training my just turned 2 yo for about a month and we still have the odd accident! Some days are better than others. I thought the whole drama would last a week, tops - but reality has turned out to be quite different. The first week was quite hellish but we have come leaps and bounds.

Are you using sticker charts/rewards of some kind? Potty training story books are also good to keep up motivation.

Please
or

cuggles · 07/02/2012 19:41

Thankyou BlackSwan - looking at it more objectively I think you are so right I am expecting too much - my mum kept saying the same but I was thinking hmm she is just being the doting granny and not going through it so to hear it from a third party - yep agreed! Today was a little better although I ask her rather than the other way round so I will just keep at it...I feel comforted that your first week was hell too (sorry!) Yes we are using a sticker chart and she loves it so that helps. I will ease off the stressing about it (in my own head) and just go with it as much as possible!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlackSwan · 07/02/2012 21:12

It was hell! Sheer hell! Not that things suddenly got perfect after a week, since we started things have gotten better, then worse (poo in bath) then better (asking me to go to the toilet) etc etc so that now - 3-4 weeks down the line, he is using public toilets, with disposable seat protectors and going about 2 hours between wees. I don't even have to drag the portable potty around! Though I do keep it in the car. I'm sure this post will jinx it all for me and he will surprise me tomorrow with some kind of graphic accident, but I think you could use the encouragement, so I'm willing to risk it!

Please
or

cuggles · 07/02/2012 21:31

Thanks, it is indeed what I need to hear I can not tell you how much more relaxed I feel - I hope all goes well tomorrow or I will feel terrible now! Fingers crossed!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.