Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Potty training next steps

sleeplessinderbyshire · 14/12/2011 10:40

DD is 28 months. If naked she will happily trot off to the toilet/potty for both wees and poos and has not had an accident on the carpet for months. If clothed and bored will often ask but if engrossed in something not a chance. She sits happily on loo/potty at every nappy change with variable effects.

Do I just keep going with lots of naked potty/loo time when playing at home and eventually she'll get it or what next? If I try and put her in big girl pants she gets really worried(I think because she is scared of weeing in them by mistake)

I'm pregnant with DC2 (due in July) and would love her out of nappies by then, feeling terrible for not using washables at the moment as pooey ones make me throw up so really wuld like to be done with nappies asap so I am not contibuting to landfill but at the same time I know really she needs to be ready and it'll happen in her own time

OP's posts:
Please
or

wigglemama · 15/12/2011 09:50

In my experience it is best to make a decision to do away with nappies during the day altogether. Set aside a number of days when you are prepared to stay in the house, let her run around naked from waist down for the first day, giving rewards for peeing/pooing in potty/toilet. Next day, put knickers on, Make a big fuss about having big girls knickers on like mummy, maybe with a character on that she likes(?!). It really is a case of sticking it out. Putting nappies on her will just confuse her. It is hard work but if she is ready then it should go smoothly-obviously with a few accidents along the way!

Please
or

NellyTheElephant · 15/12/2011 11:24

I agree with wiggle. She sounds totally ready to me - you just have to commit to the next step and do away with nappies altogether. Let her know that e.g. next week this is going to happen. Go and buy a packet of treats a few days before and discuss how she will get them next week when you stop using nappies and she uses the potty. Same with pants - let her choose some and play with them, but again say it will be next week when she is allowed to wear them, so she has a bit of anticipation time getting used to and looking forward to treats and new knickers, then go for it, expect a few days of quite a few accidents, but in no time you'll be through all that.

Please
or

bessie26 · 19/12/2011 16:38

Agree with what the others have said! Stickers worked really well with DD1, her potties are covered in them!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.