My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Postpartum hair loss

20 replies

GinQueen1844 · 11/07/2021 07:45

4 months postpartum. Hair loss is bad!... I'm starting to fear washing my hair because of how much I'm losing! 😳

when does it stop and does anyone have any tips?

OP posts:
Workinghardeveryday · 11/07/2021 08:00

Mine did this, can’t remember when it stopped but it went on for about a month or more I think

Janek · 11/07/2021 08:20

I always thought it was normal hair loss, but concentrated into less time - you don't lose a normal amount of hair when you're pregnant, so your body catches up and gets back to a normal level once you are no longer pregnant.

So yes, you are losing more hair than normal, but you are not being left with less hair.

Frazzled2207 · 11/07/2021 08:28

I’ve had it and it was pretty upsetting. Went on for several weeks - but stopped suddenly without any intervention.

I was convinced I’d end up with bald spots but I didn’t. I lost a lot of hair at the front of my head though including almost all my fringe.

Unfortunately what happened next was tufty bits especially around the front where I’d lost the most. It did sort itself back out eventually but I had to cut most of it off a few months pp to try and balance it out .

None of my friends had it this bad, though they all definitely noticed all the extra hair coming out

MyGrassIsBrowner · 11/07/2021 08:33

I feel your saddness OP. Had this with my DD. I lost so much hair my hairline started receeding and like PP said, was left with tufty bits around the front. I promise you though, it does eventually stop! Took mine a month or two.
The strangest thing was when all the belly hair started falling out!

GinQueen1844 · 11/07/2021 08:47

@Frazzled2207 @MyGrassIsBrowner
I've noticed a big patch at the front! Did this happen with you and has it grown back there ok?
😕

OP posts:
GinQueen1844 · 11/07/2021 08:47

@Frazzled2207 @MyGrassIsBrowner

Postpartum hair loss
OP posts:
Frazzled2207 · 11/07/2021 08:58

I receded but didn’t have a patch no. Think it worth seeing gp and ruling out other causes- I’ve read that iron deficiency for example can cause hair loss. Also my son had similar recently and it turned out to be a fungal infection -
A cream sorted it quite quickly

Mine did eventually go fully back to normal.

GinQueen1844 · 11/07/2021 09:23

Thank you. I hope it grows back quick it's becoming quite noticeable.

I'll get some Guinness down me for the match later incase it's iron deficiency 😂 lol on a serious note though will keep an eye on it xx

OP posts:
Jadefeather7 · 11/07/2021 09:41

@GinQueen1844 try Lush New shampoo. Mine was terrible and I was feeling so depressed. Stopped a couple of weeks after using this and now my hair is as good as it was during pregnancy. Amazing stuff.

GinQueen1844 · 11/07/2021 10:08

Thanks for the tip @Jadefeather7 xx

OP posts:
bookish83 · 11/07/2021 10:19

Multivitamins including biotin
And get iron levels checked. My hair loss was worse I believe than 'normal' as my iron was very low.

Stopped as quickly as it started after about 2 ish months. All grown back and healthy. It was heartbreaking though x

GinQueen1844 · 11/07/2021 11:03

Thanks @bookish83 I've just ordered some Biotin off Amazon 👍🏻 high ratings too xx

OP posts:
Correlation · 11/07/2021 11:29

I'm 3.5 months postpartum and just had my hair cut yesterday for the first time since before covid. My carpet at home gets covered in hair every day and I'm losing huge amounts. The hairdresser said she could see I had lost quite a bit and that this is normal after having a baby and usually stops by about 6 months. She managed to sell me some Kerastase Genesis which helps with breakage and smells nice.

User1357 · 11/07/2021 11:31

Oh bloody hell this happened to me. I lost half my hair it feels. It’s growing back now but it honestly looked awful!

It stopped around 7 months.

bookish83 · 11/07/2021 14:26

@GinQueen1844

Thanks *@bookish83* I've just ordered some Biotin off Amazon 👍🏻 high ratings too xx

No problem! I swear it helped me. Lots of regrowth. I used the Phillip Kingsley elasticised too as that made my hair feel better
MyGrassIsBrowner · 12/07/2021 02:08

@GinQueen1844 I had a patch just like that. It really will sort itself out. Sadly some of us just suffer worse than others! I tried Biotin tablets but they gave me awful headaches for some bizarre reason. Try not to stress to much I promise you it will start growing back! X

Rangoon · 12/07/2021 02:14

I was low in iron and my hair did thin. Some extra iron and it regrew.

McTwinmum · 10/03/2022 18:59

Hi @GinQueen1844 I’m the same as you and it’s really getting me down! I’m finding myself so preoccupied thinking about hair loss all the time then feeling so guilty because I have these two beautiful babies and I feel ungrateful for caring so much about my hair.
Hoping you can reassure me and your pp hair loss has started to get better since you posted!! xxx

eddiemairswife · 10/03/2022 19:12

I developed a couple of bald spots after my first, and then my second. I fully expected it after my third but all was fine. I wondered if it was anything to do with the first two being boys and the third being a girl. The fourth was also a girl, and no bald spots.

PurpleJam2234 · 02/10/2022 12:13

@GinQueen1844 hello!! Checking in to see did your hair recover?! I am 15 PP and starting to notice a lot of thinning around the front/hairline, my temples actually got thinner in pregnancy weirdly but the rest has been more recent.

I had a blood test and my ferratin was 24 so trying to get it closer to optimal 70/80 on ferrous sulphate.

would love to hear everyone’s experience!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.