My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

When will my hair stop falling out!!

8 replies

Isababybel · 22/01/2021 15:00

Im 5.5months postpartum, and my hair is still falling out in huge handfuls everyday.
It really ramped up about 2 months ago and is maybe slowing down a bit, but i think thats because i only have about 40% of my hair left, maybe less tbh Shock
My hair used to be really thick and now it just looks pitiful :(
When will it stop falling out?? How long will it take to get back to its former thickness??? Years, a decade??!

OP posts:
Newtothis213 · 24/01/2021 22:00

Hate to say it but even once it stops falling out you need to deal with the regrowth which i wasn't prepared for. hair stop falling out about 8 months postpartum and is really thick again now 20 months postpartum. I did have to get my hair cut chin length as I had tufts and an obvious line where my new hair had grown in. Best thing I ever did was get it cut though as its so thick and healthy again

BettyAndVeronica · 24/01/2021 22:15

Mine stopped when baby was about 9 months. But was at its worst at 5months!!

Baby almost 1 and I have a lot of fly aways.

movingonup20 · 24/01/2021 22:18

Sorry to worry you but it may not grow back as thick or the same colour, mine is also straighter

Iamneverfull · 24/01/2021 22:31

I have very obvious regrowth now, baby is just over 1 year old. It is really scary so I totally understand, I lost so much along my hairline so I looked like I was receeding. I think it stopped falling out so much at about 6months? I took Biotin, not sure if it worked but I did stop shedding as much after taking it but it could have just been a coincidence?

Surfdayssun · 27/01/2021 21:39

Mine was awful and got worse between 5 and 6 months after having DS. I honestly got out every shower thinking I would have bald patches because of the clumps of hair that came out. It then slowed up and now almost nothing comes out at 10 months. I do have lots of regrow around my hairline which sticks out 😂

Goatsdorhone · 29/01/2021 14:17

I could have written this exact post. Am 5.5 months pp and it's really awful. My hair feels like wire wool and if I tie it up it reveals an awful receding hairline with some new growth starting. I hope I get my old hair back some day!!

cheesebubble · 29/01/2021 23:10

@Newtothis213

Hate to say it but even once it stops falling out you need to deal with the regrowth which i wasn't prepared for. hair stop falling out about 8 months postpartum and is really thick again now 20 months postpartum. I did have to get my hair cut chin length as I had tufts and an obvious line where my new hair had grown in. Best thing I ever did was get it cut though as its so thick and healthy again

This. I am now 25 weeks pregnant and one thing I dread is that I will probably lose it all again. The regrowth is probably worse than the falling out but it will look better again and it will regrow.

I am going to buy the breastfeeding complex vitamins from wild nutrition, maybe that'll help? I have no clue but anything that might help!!!
tatutata · 29/01/2021 23:13

Just don't carry on breastfeeding until nearly three.. . It stopped falling out, grew back after about a year, carried on BF and now its all fallen out again. Wish I could get her to stop.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.