My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

What’s happened to health visitors?

16 replies

TheChineseChicken · 12/09/2020 09:26

I had DS at the end of January. My 6-week and his 8-week checkups were cancelled by our GP surgery due to covid (he’s having vaccinations as part of a trial so no need to go in for these). Health visitor did his 8 week check a week or so before lockdown. Since then... nothing. No calls, texts or any communication. Have health visitors been shelved or something? Luckily we are fine (as far as I can tell) but I wonder how many other babies and mothers have been forgotten?

For context we are in a relatively affluent / middle class area with usually good pre- and post-natal services. Semi-rural with fairly low covid cases.

OP posts:
Thirty2andBlue · 12/09/2020 09:31

I think I saw mine when my daughter was about 4months and she discussed weaning, then not sure I saw her again before 12 months. Then next time was 27 months. So big gaps really! But I was managing fine generally and knew how to access support if needed.

I know locally that the Health Visiting service are still doing home visits, whereas in the next county they have only been doing phone checks.

Thirty2andBlue · 12/09/2020 09:33

I didn't have contact from mine between visits btw, I think that's normal generally. I work with HV professionally and know that for parents who need more support they are (or the ones I have worked with) much more visible and proactive.

TheChineseChicken · 12/09/2020 09:34

I was more thinking that it’s odd that no one has really been in touch with us to see if we are ok - and missing the GP check ups could be a concern if there was something wrong with DS that would have been flagged. I’m not that fussed about seeing HVs in general but what if there are mothers out there struggling or babies with problems that aren’t being identified? I appreciate that home visits might be off the cards but a phone call should be possible

OP posts:
TheChineseChicken · 12/09/2020 09:35

@Thirty2andBlue

I didn't have contact from mine between visits btw, I think that's normal generally. I work with HV professionally and know that for parents who need more support they are (or the ones I have worked with) much more visible and proactive.

OK so maybe there has been some activity for those who need it
OP posts:
Kaktus · 12/09/2020 09:35

In ‘normal’ times I didn’t see mine between the 8 week check and the 1 year check (I have 3 DC and it was the same for all).

CountessFrog · 12/09/2020 09:36

I may be cynical, but being in an affluent area may be affecting your experience.

I’m in a similar area and when my children’s checks were significantly late, the HV told me that services were thin in the ground, so they prioritised the postcodes with highest level of deprivation. This is several years ago now, but the same will possibly be true.

TheChineseChicken · 12/09/2020 09:36

@Kaktus

In ‘normal’ times I didn’t see mine between the 8 week check and the 1 year check (I have 3 DC and it was the same for all).

I’ve clearly forgotten what happened with my first!
OP posts:
TheChineseChicken · 12/09/2020 09:37

@CountessFrog

I may be cynical, but being in an affluent area may be affecting your experience.

I’m in a similar area and when my children’s checks were significantly late, the HV told me that services were thin in the ground, so they prioritised the postcodes with highest level of deprivation. This is several years ago now, but the same will possibly be true.

Yes, that does sound possible
OP posts:
CountessFrog · 12/09/2020 09:39

Though it also sounds from other posters that perhaps it’s normal now anyway.

MrsMaglev · 12/09/2020 09:48

I had DC2 on June.

HV called me when she was 2 weeks to do some kind of questionnaire. Promised to call me back at 4 weeks to check in; called me at 8 weeks and left a voicemail saying they'd call back (DC2 is now 14 weeks and I've not heard from them).

As pp have said I think they're prioritising more vulnerable or first time visits. In my area it's largely phone calls although they are I think still running clinics. I have really enjoyed not having to run DC2 to a clinic every fortnight for a weigh in, had bad experiences with HV with DC1 so one less thing to worry about!

MrsMaglev · 12/09/2020 09:48

(Should say I'm in a relatively affluent part of a pretty deprived area so I think this plays into it too)

TheChineseChicken · 12/09/2020 09:49

@MrsMaglev

I had DC2 on June.

HV called me when she was 2 weeks to do some kind of questionnaire. Promised to call me back at 4 weeks to check in; called me at 8 weeks and left a voicemail saying they'd call back (DC2 is now 14 weeks and I've not heard from them).

As pp have said I think they're prioritising more vulnerable or first time visits. In my area it's largely phone calls although they are I think still running clinics. I have really enjoyed not having to run DC2 to a clinic every fortnight for a weigh in, had bad experiences with HV with DC1 so one less thing to worry about!

I know what you mean - with my first I weighed her religiously. DS has been weighed twice since birth I think! He enormous though so no problems there Grin
OP posts:
Kaktus · 12/09/2020 09:53

My second and third only got weighed at the HV checks, so at 8 weeks and then a year! I could see they were growing fine so didn’t see any reason to go in between Grin.

SelmaB · 12/09/2020 09:56

I have an 11mo. Was seen once when he was maybe 2 weeks old and had a phone call when he was 9mo where they told me they won't contact me again until he is 2yo! Although I have rang them a couple of times with questions and both times they got back to me really quickly and were happy to help. I think basically they are there if you need them but otherwise you muddle through yourself.

Hellomoonstar · 13/09/2020 18:21

Ds3 was born at the end of April. Health visitor has called me few times and at the last phone consultation she gave me the teams number to call in case I need them. Last time ds3 was weighed by professionals was by the midwife who discharged us. My health visitor was working from home.

CoodleMoodle · 13/09/2020 18:34

Slightly different, but...

I was wondering about the 2ish year check the other day. I remember with DD there was a questionnaire to fill in and then an appointment to go through it when she was about 2yrs 4mo. It was the only HV interaction I ever found vaguely useful or informative because it's when a few issues can be flagged up with speech and physical abilities (DD was way ahead with speech but slightly behind physically - she's 6 and has fully evened out now!).

DS is 2yrs 2mo so I'll be interested to see if we even get a phone call. Last time we saw the HV was the 10mo check, before that I can't even remember! I'd like to know how he's doing, even if just for our own curiosity.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.