My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Bad back and low iron after labour

2 replies

SL1997 · 28/12/2019 13:03

Hi! I gave birth 2 months ago to a beautiful baby boy. However my labour was a hard labour and I lost a lot of blood and my iron levels have been really low ever since. I am taking iron tablets but they are not doing anything. I have been told to wait 12 weeks and then I will have more blood tests. But I'm taking iron tablets and I am still reeling so exhausted (not normal baby tired) and I have no energy. Does anyone have any advice on how to make myself feel a bit better?
During labour I also had the procedure for an epidural, however it got stuck so was more difficult for them to remove. Ever since I have had such bad back pain. Is this normal and how long will it take for my back to feel normal again.

OP posts:
DamnitCharlie · 28/12/2019 13:13

Are your iron tablets prescribed or supplements you've bought? You can get much stronger tablets on prescription if you haven't already. Has anyone mentioned an iron transfusion?

Red meat seems to make me feel better and I take my iron tablets with orange juice as vitamin C helps absorption. I've heard tea and coffee can hinder absorption so try and take it without a tea or coffee and limit myself to 2 cups a day overall.

SL1997 · 28/12/2019 13:23

Thanks for the advice. I had an iron transfusion whilst in hospital and my tablets are prescription. I will try some orange juice with my tablets and red meat Smile

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.