My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Breast feeders, does this look like nipple thrush?

8 replies

Verbena87 · 24/06/2018 10:47

Just that really. Baby is 9 months old and we’ve been breastfeeding since birth with some mastitis/blocked duct issues earlier on but generally fine.

When my son’s top teeth came in we had a bit of an adjustment period with his latch, and after one feed I ended up really sore and had blocked ducts and what I thought was a milk blister. Ducts are now clear but nearly a week on I still have this yellowish white bit on my nipple and it’s sore, especially when feeding. I’m going to hassle a pharmacist or maybe GP tomorrow but does anyone have any insight/tips?

Breast feeders, does this look like nipple thrush?
OP posts:
SoftAsACactus · 24/06/2018 11:01

Looks like milk blister still to me

Verbena87 · 24/06/2018 11:04

Thanks Cactus. I guess that’s better as thrush sounds a real bugger to shift. Just odd that I don’t have obviously blocked ducts (eg none of those hard, tender areas I usually get with a milk blister).

OP posts:
Coldhandscoldheart · 24/06/2018 11:04

Looks like the milk blisters I have had. Hurts like a bastard. I have to admit I read the advice on I think kellymom & then decapped it myself with a sterile needle. One of them I cleared by gently scratching with a fingernail. So a bit of gentle exfoliation might help?

Verbena87 · 24/06/2018 11:09

Cold I’m a sterile needle jabber as well (against the advice of male GP when I was in agony early on. Still feel I deserve a Star for not saying “you fucking well get the fucker out then!”), but didn’t seem to work on this. Milk also still seems to be coming from the white area so it’s not completely blocked. Wretched thing. Will try more hot water and some exfoliating.

OP posts:
SoftAsACactus · 24/06/2018 16:02

Jabber here too Blush - maybe it just needs to heal a bit

Verbena87 · 24/06/2018 17:11

Has now split and is bleeding (and ive honestly not even done any fingernail scraping as we’ve been out)?! It’s annoying because the other side regularly clogs/gets mastitis and this boob has been perfect for 9 months. What is it even thinking?!

OP posts:
Coldhandscoldheart · 24/06/2018 19:10

Heh. I’m glad I’m not the only one to admit that!
I really don’t know. I did have something similar recently, and, like you it didn’t seem to clear with a bit of a poke, but it wasn’t that painful, and did go away after a couple of days I think.

Verbena87 · 24/06/2018 20:22

I bet most people have a go with a needle or tweezers when they realise how useless a hot compress usually is!

Glad to hear yours cleared by itself - think I’m going to try and leave it alone (and maybe go and hassle a pharmacist with it tomorrow, just in case).

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.