Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

dual nationality German / British

cam179 · 08/09/2022 15:22

My daughter was born in Germany 1982 her mother and did not marry however I am on her birth certificate. Her mother later married and my daughter was adopted by her husband taking his name, 19 years later my daughter found out by accident she was adopted. this led her to changing her name, but not back to her mothers name, but to taking my name as per her birth certificate, subsequently she also had a daughter who was born with my name. the German system being that a child would take the mothers name. I am delighted to say all is rosy in the garden, and my daughter would like to apply for dual nationality. The previous post although give an insight to things are somewhat dated, can anyone offer any help or advice ? many thanks in anticipation.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ShouldersBackChestOutChinUp · 08/09/2022 15:24

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 08/09/2022 15:25

My DC have British/German Nationality, what do you want to know?
I believe that Germany actually only allows dual nationality with another EU nation though so it may not be possible now (we did it Pre Brexit)

Please
or

Delabruche · 08/09/2022 15:26

I am not sure what you are looking for exactly? Are you German? AFAIK it was only possible to hold dual British / German citizenship BEFORE Brexit.

Please
or

cam179 · 08/09/2022 15:33

I am British, was ex forces working in Germany at the time. My daughter wants to know if she can have dual German / British nationality

OP's posts:
Please
or

Delabruche · 08/09/2022 15:37

I dont think she can. AFAIK you have to be born to two parents of different nationalities OR you can have dual nationality of two EU countries - which of course means Brexit has put paid to that. But probably best to ask an expert!

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 08/09/2022 15:40

cam179 · 08/09/2022 15:33

I am British, was ex forces working in Germany at the time. My daughter wants to know if she can have dual German / British nationality

I don’t think so post Brexit unfortunately

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?