Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Missing Graduation

Crosswithcovid · 13/07/2022 21:02

Most of the family have had Covid this week and I have a headache and sore throat this evening :(. IF I test positive tomorrow I will be missing DD's graduation on Saturday 😥(she is not at home so not at risk of catching it - from us anyway).
It's touch and go whether dh will be clear and up to travelling by then so there is a possibility dh will have no family with her. Very disappointing, but important to remember that worse things happen and we will celebrate as best we can later to make up for missing it.
Has anyone got any good ideas for what I could send down to her as a surprise - not flowers as she is off on holiday soon afterwards? I could get a speedy delivery to one of her uni friends who could surprise her with it . Something fun to make her smile. TIA x

OP's posts:
Please
or

picklemewalnuts · 13/07/2022 21:03

Cake! Surely cake is where it's at!

Please
or

Crosswithcovid · 13/07/2022 21:03

A possibility dd* will have no family with her, I mean.

OP's posts:
Please
or

stayathomegardener · 13/07/2022 21:28

My mum missed my graduation because she'd just had a hysterectomy, my dad wasn't there because he had recently died.

I missed my daughters because she said it was pointless going a year later after lockdown, just trying to say it's actually ok not to be there.

Maybe you could send something for her to enjoy with friends beforehand whilst they get ready? Cakes and Prosecco to share or are you thinking of something for later when everyone goes for meals?
Will she go with another family?

Please
or

Crosswithcovid · 13/07/2022 21:29

Hadn’t thought of cake - perhaps cupcakes to share . Love that , thank you x

OP's posts:
Please
or

stayathomegardener · 13/07/2022 21:29

For dinner later I mean?

Please
or

stayathomegardener · 13/07/2022 21:30

I actually quite enjoyed being by myself, meant I could flit between friends and meet families with zero obligations.

Please
or

Crosswithcovid · 13/07/2022 21:32

@stayathomegardener she will be with friends and their families afterwards and will be included for sure . Not really sure of the logistics; will message her friends . Just want to add a little treat so we are a part of it , if not there in person .

OP's posts:
Please
or

stayathomegardener · 13/07/2022 21:32

Or graduation nail treat for her the day before?
Then your thought will be there in the ceremony on her hands.

I reckon graduations in the heat might be overrated Wink

Please
or

Crosswithcovid · 13/07/2022 22:20

Nail treatment also a lovely idea . Will see what tomorrow brings and get planning . Thank you both .

OP's posts:
Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 15/07/2022 14:18

Does the Uni live stream the ceremony - ours did and it meant that wider family could watch from afar

Please
or

Crosswithcovid · 17/07/2022 18:09

Thank you everyone! By some miracle, I escaped covid! DH had done his time and was negative so we were able to attend. We had a great (if hot) day and feel incredibly fortunate .

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?