My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Other subjects

fridge is freezing everything - can it be repaired?

11 replies

wem · 09/12/2008 08:54

Gah! Washing machine, fridge freezer and dishwasher have all broken within a week. Washing machine is a write off and is being replaced. Dishwasher still works, just has a dodgy door. Is there any hope for the fridge?

OP posts:
ChristmasCakeYerbouti · 09/12/2008 08:55

A really stupid question, but have you tried turning it down? My kids have a habit of turning mine up to max and then I end up with stuff at the back getting frozen

wem · 09/12/2008 09:00

Only dd is 6 weeks old, so don't think she'll have been messing with stuff just yet...

We turned it down to the minimum a couple of days ago, but it's still freezing stuff

OP posts:
KatyMac · 09/12/2008 09:03

I know it sounds silly but turn it the other way (I can never work out how a fridge is up or down iyswim)

wem · 09/12/2008 09:09

I know what you mean KatyMac, I've never been sure on the logic of it. DH seemed fairly sure tho. Perhaps I'll try experimenting with it today.

OP posts:
littleboyblue · 09/12/2008 09:12

My old fridge did this all the time (I say old because we moved into a part furnished place not because I threw it out).
Have you just done a big shop? (Not now at 9 in the morning, but yesterday or something ) Mine would freeze everything if it had sat relatively empty for a few days and then was all of a sudden fully stocked, we would have to change dial according to how much stuff we had in there. Also don't put anything at the back if you can help uit as worse there.

MarmadukeScarlet · 09/12/2008 09:17

I have a in fridge thermometer bought for this reason. Can never remember if 1 is the coldest or 6?? I keep an eye on it with thermometer, no longer freezes stuff and I save energy.

If it is 6 weeks old I would check the setting.

FaLaLa · 09/12/2008 09:33

I have mine on 2. We have a little hole in our that if it gets clogged up, the fridge freezes, do you have a little hole? possibly?

wem · 09/12/2008 09:39

hmm, have located a hole, doesn't seem to be blocked though.

(dd is 6 weeks old, not the fridge!)

OP posts:
FaLaLa · 09/12/2008 09:51

Hmmm hole not blocked?

[thinks]

Can you prod it to see if it has iced over [the hole]?

Niecie · 09/12/2008 09:54

Thermostat might have gone doolally.

What is freezing though? Is it everything or is it like our old fridge that froze stuff that came into contact with the back wall?

wem · 09/12/2008 10:23

hole is definitely still hole-like

I think it's probably the thermostat. Absolutely everything is frozen. Is it feasible to get it fixed or are we shelling out for a fridge too?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.