My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Pregnancy of Unknown Location - this probably isn't going to end well, is it?

31 replies

artifarti · 14/01/2011 11:58

Went to the EPU this morning after a couple of days of brown spotting. By LMP should 6w3d but period always few days late so probably less. The scan couldn't find anything in the uterus except 'a black spot which might or might not be something'. My DS also showed up late on early scans but by this stage there was at least a sac so I suspect it's not good news. Had bloods taken and have to go back in 48 hours.

I'm also confused as to why I suddenly have a tilted uterus apparently when I didn't in my first pregnancy and am convincing myself now that they put everything back in wrong after my EMCS with DS.

It's the waiting that I hate so much. Sad

OP posts:
artifarti · 14/01/2011 14:15

Bump. Has anyone else had experience of a PUL?

OP posts:
hairyfairylights · 14/01/2011 18:23

Hi. So sorry. It's a case of waiting to see what the bloods say at this stage ... The pregnancy hormone should double at least each forty eight hours. It's still very early for a scan toshiw much. At six weeks they could only see a bock spot (preg sac) with me.

OracleInaCoracle · 14/01/2011 18:32

your uterus can change position during or after pg so its not uncommon to suddenly develop a tilted uterus. or it may havbe not been mentioned/picked up before. re the PUL, its as hairy says, see what the bloods do and wait for another scan. there was something in the uterus which is good news and the tilt might have made visibility harder.

artifarti · 14/01/2011 19:31

Thank you both.

lissie, I didn't realise that a tilted uterus wasn't a permanent thing, that's useful, thanks.

I am not really holding out any hope, just want to know one way or the other now. Funnily enough I feel more sick and tired than I ever have up until now but suspect that's down to being miserable all day.

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 14/01/2011 20:10

i have a tilted uterus, it was mentioned at my last smear, bearing in mind that Ive had 12 mc's, an ep, a v medical pg with several scans and so many internals that most doctors from here to liverpool could find their way out of my uterus blindfolded, noone mentioned that my womb was a bit wonky.

when dpo you get results?

hairyfairylights · 14/01/2011 20:11

I also have a tilted uterus (only found this out during examination two years ago when they looked at whether I had a reason for painful periods). 20% of people do, and it can 'untilt' and 'retilt' apparently.

Gosh lissie so sorry for your losses.

artifarti · 14/01/2011 20:20

Oh lissie, so sorry you have had to go through all that.

Results on Monday.

OP posts:
artifarti · 17/01/2011 09:22

Eeek, so the EPU called me at 8.30am to go in for another scan this afternoon. My hormones have gone up by 78% so not a doubling but my body obviously still thinks it's pregnant somewhere. I had totally prepared myself for them to have fallen and so now I am terrified it's ectopic or I guess it could be growing abnormally. Hate this.Sad

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 17/01/2011 09:28

the fact that your HCG has gone up is good news. HCG varies a lot from pg to pg. did they check your tubes?

artifarti · 17/01/2011 09:31

Not yet lissie. The first scan was just a quick nosey in the uterus. I think this afternoon they will be more thorough although I don't really know what to expect.

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 17/01/2011 09:48

this time they will check the uterus again, hopefully the black spot has become a sac/foetus with a heartbeat, they will also have a nose around the tubal area and the ovaries.

depending on what they see, they will probably take more blood (sucks I know) but they will prob admit you straight away if they either see an ep or there is nothing in the uterus. do you have someone going with you?

artifarti · 17/01/2011 10:09

Not today. DP starts a new job today so is going in to them to explain the situation in case he needs to take time off this week or next (we're not positive thinkers in our house, can you tell?) In saying that, he is very near if I need to call him in.

Thanks for the support lissie. I don't know your situation at the moment but hope that things get better for you.

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 17/01/2011 10:15

is there a friend who can go with you? if it is an ep you will need someone with you. have you packed a small bag too, just in case. NO PYJAMA's and big pants.

good luck, Im sure it will be fine. please update.

and thank you. we are still ttc but this is the last year for us. its been 5.5, enough now.

OracleInaCoracle · 17/01/2011 18:22

any news?

artifarti · 17/01/2011 19:21

Well, it's all still a bit up in the air. I have to go back in a week to be scanned again.

Basically, they are happy with HCG (gone from 3983 to 7091) and today there was a small sac (she is "98% sure" it's a sac anyway). She couldn't find any evidence of an ectopic pregnancy anywhere, although can't completely rule it out yet. So it's whether anything grows in the sac basically. She expects to see a HB next Monday. And assuming my slight spotting doesn't turn into a full-on bleed.

I just don't know if my dates could be a week or so out. I mean I know I ovulated later this month so that takes me back 4ish days. Can the time it takes to implant vary too?

I feel a bit numb now. I can't let myself get excited but also don't want to spend the week consulting Dr Google and fretting/weeping. I am trying to think I am in the same boat as anyone else - early pregnancy, may or may not develop successfully. I think it's going to be a long week though...

Oh, and I don't have a tilted uterus today. Hmm

Thanks for asking lissie.

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 17/01/2011 19:50

phew, well, its better news than I think you were expecting. and it DOES look good. when I was pg with ds I was convinced that I was 7w when I started spotting. went for a scan and I was only 5. I had to rest a LOT but everything was fine. re the tilt, when you have your dildo-cam scan try lifting your bum off the couch. as I said, it wobbles around. a LOT.

and no problem at all. keep me informed. I have everything crossed for you x

Rainbowpenguin · 20/01/2011 11:23

Hi there. I have had an ectopic pregnancy but your situation sounds more positive.

Your HCG has gone up at a rate that would signify a healthy pregnancy. Mine while having EP was all over the place. It did increase but not enough.

It does sound to me like they just cant see the pregnancy on the scanner which isnt unusual. Sometimes they panic when they cant see it as EP can be dangerous they err on the side of caution.

It sounds to me though they are monitoring you closely and I think in a couple of weeks your scan will show the pregnancy in the right place.

If you develop any unusual pain or shoulder pain though get checked out.

It is just a waiting game though which is the hardest thing. I really hope it goes well for you

artifarti · 20/01/2011 12:16

Thanks RainbowPenguin (and lissie, thanks again).

I think they are as sure as they can be at this stage that it's not ectopic but waiting to see it there's a viable fetus. Some bleeding last night so very worried but all I can do is wait and see now.

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 20/01/2011 14:06

no problem, am keeping everything crossed. I dont want to give you false hope, but its worth noting that a tilted uterus can affect visibility of a foetus. rest, rest, rest!

OracleInaCoracle · 21/01/2011 21:59

how are you today?

artifarti · 21/01/2011 22:16

I'm okay thanks. No more red blood as yet since Wednesday night's one-off episode. Have managed to pull something in my neck/upper back which is painful - started to fret it was in my shoulder and could be a sign of ectopic but it really isn't so off to bed in the hope it calms down overnight.

Hope all good with you and yours.

OP posts:
jaylee89 · 23/01/2011 18:22

good luck for tomorrow hunni. i have everything crossed for. keep us updated.

big hugs xxxx

artifarti · 23/01/2011 18:32

Thank you so much jaylee89, that's really kind.

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 24/01/2011 12:19

sorry I didnt get back to you, hope everything goes well today xx

artifarti · 24/01/2011 15:38

Not good news from me, I'm afraid. Blighted ovum, sac already collapsing. Just trying to decide between natural and ERPC now. Want it all to be over and done with now really. Feel a bit detached at the moment, suspect it will all creep up on me soon.

Thanks so much for your support. Really reaaly hope to come across a good news thread for you soon. x

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.