My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

Low-carb diets

Low carbing and pregnancy

2 replies

StopTouchingYourFairyGarden · 11/02/2021 17:34

Hi all

I've just discovered I'm pregnant with a very 'surprise' baby.

I've low-carbed to varying degrees for quite a long time (since April 2019) initially to lose weight and then just because I liked it. In January of this year I realised I was eating like a pig again and piling on the weight so started again and it's been good, I'm feeling good and healthy.

Not sure where this leaves me with the pregnancy? Has anyone maintained a low/moderate carb pregnancy?

Obviously my first priority is the baby getting everything it needs and the second is not feeling like absolute shit, but (and it's a big butt Wink) I would like to make it through this 3rd pregnancy without piling on 3 stone like I did last time...

I'll speak to my midwife but in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

OP posts:
SquigglePigs · 11/02/2021 17:37

I developed gestational diabetes and managed it through low carb. It worked really well and DD was a sensible size. As long as you're getting good nutrition I don't see why it would be a problem in a "normal" pregnancy. Also, congratulations!

StopTouchingYourFairyGarden · 11/02/2021 18:05

Thank you Squiggle that's really interesting - I didn't have GD but had enormous babies (11lbs!).

I'll try to eat a healthy varied diet where I can but listen to my body if it is craving something!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.