Please or to access all these features

Infertility

Our Infertility Support forum is a space to connect with others in the same position, discuss causes, treatment and IVF, and share infertility stories of hope and success.

Should we start IVF?

4 replies

Firsttimerugbymum · 15/10/2026 09:34

Hiya

Me and my partner have been trying for ten months now for our second with little success. We are both 35.

Just had a bad feeling, and decided to get some basic fertility tests. Mine came back ok, but my husband's semen analysis was poor.

Concentration 7.3m, total number 32.85m, progressive motility 19%, total motility 29%, morphology 2%.

We are waiting slightly longer to do another semen analysis, and my husband has undertaken some lifestyle changes and vitamins, however seeing as he already did not drink, smoke or have caffeine I'm not sure these will have a significant affect.

The clinic suggested on talking through the semen analysis we go straight to IVF which was a bit of a shock. However over the last few months I'm concerned my own fertility will start to slip and we will be left in a worse position by waiting. Looking into IVF with male factor, it's likely that a lot of embryos will fail.

  1. Is it worth us going straight to IVF if the next semen analysis is not good
  2. Is it worth exploring the reasons for my husband's poor result? The clinic did not appear to think this was worthwhile, although surely even if IVF was needed it would improve the chances?
  3. Where on earth do I start researching? Everything will have to be private as I already have one child

Thanks for any help or suggestions

OP posts:
Waitingforday6 · 16/10/2026 07:53

Hi! I would look into ubiquinol if he is not taking it already (not ubiquinone/COQ10) and if you go ahead with IVF (ICSI is usually used for male factor) then I'd consider both of you taking ubiquinol in the run up (I am not a medical professional so please do your own research). Also he should add walnuts, make sure he has enough zinc, no hot tubs, hot baths, laptops on lap or anything else that makes that area too warm, no long cycling sessions if that is his hobby or mode of transportation. Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sorry you are going through this. Sperm can change quite a lot in a short space of time, has he had a fever/flu/Covid in the last 3 months that could explain the result?

In terms of your questions, you could go and see a urologist privately (this one seems to be highly recommended based on podcasts I've listened to https://jonathanramsay.co.uk )and perhaps look into the possibility of a varicocele but if private IVF is an option I'd probably move ahead with it if there is no change in the next sample. Good luck!

Firsttimerugbymum · 16/10/2026 09:38

Waitingforday6 · 16/10/2026 07:53

Hi! I would look into ubiquinol if he is not taking it already (not ubiquinone/COQ10) and if you go ahead with IVF (ICSI is usually used for male factor) then I'd consider both of you taking ubiquinol in the run up (I am not a medical professional so please do your own research). Also he should add walnuts, make sure he has enough zinc, no hot tubs, hot baths, laptops on lap or anything else that makes that area too warm, no long cycling sessions if that is his hobby or mode of transportation. Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sorry you are going through this. Sperm can change quite a lot in a short space of time, has he had a fever/flu/Covid in the last 3 months that could explain the result?

In terms of your questions, you could go and see a urologist privately (this one seems to be highly recommended based on podcasts I've listened to https://jonathanramsay.co.uk )and perhaps look into the possibility of a varicocele but if private IVF is an option I'd probably move ahead with it if there is no change in the next sample. Good luck!

Thanks for coming back!

Yes we are on a regime of vitamins now - hopefully these will do enough. Unfortunately he already doesn't do any cycling, hot baths, hot tubs etc so things to cut out are minimal.

Hoping it's a one off - unfortunately we have a toddler in nursery so are endlessly ill. We couldn't think of anything in the run up to the semen analysis that stuck out

Unfortunately we couldn't get to Johnathan ramsay, however he had a full ultrasound at the priory in Birmingham which identified no varicocele.

Let's see what the next sample says

OP posts:
Ourgenesanddreams · 18/10/2026 07:12

Firsttimerugbymum · 15/10/2026 09:34

Hiya

Me and my partner have been trying for ten months now for our second with little success. We are both 35.

Just had a bad feeling, and decided to get some basic fertility tests. Mine came back ok, but my husband's semen analysis was poor.

Concentration 7.3m, total number 32.85m, progressive motility 19%, total motility 29%, morphology 2%.

We are waiting slightly longer to do another semen analysis, and my husband has undertaken some lifestyle changes and vitamins, however seeing as he already did not drink, smoke or have caffeine I'm not sure these will have a significant affect.

The clinic suggested on talking through the semen analysis we go straight to IVF which was a bit of a shock. However over the last few months I'm concerned my own fertility will start to slip and we will be left in a worse position by waiting. Looking into IVF with male factor, it's likely that a lot of embryos will fail.

  1. Is it worth us going straight to IVF if the next semen analysis is not good
  2. Is it worth exploring the reasons for my husband's poor result? The clinic did not appear to think this was worthwhile, although surely even if IVF was needed it would improve the chances?
  3. Where on earth do I start researching? Everything will have to be private as I already have one child

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Hope you dont mind me sharing & wishing you all the luck with your journey

I carry a chromosome translocation, so we need IVF with genetic testing (PGT-SR). After being told our postcode and my older child ruled out NHS funding, we spent around £14,000 on a cycle that sadly left us with no embryos.

We’re still hoping there’s a chance for us, but misleading information and delays may mean we’ve now missed the age cut-off.

We’ve started a petition for fairer access—even if it comes too late for us, we want things to change for others. Please sign and share will your followers if you can. It would mean so much 🤍 x.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/769277

Ourgenesanddreams · 18/10/2026 07:13

Ourgenesanddreams · 18/10/2026 07:12

Hope you dont mind me sharing & wishing you all the luck with your journey

I carry a chromosome translocation, so we need IVF with genetic testing (PGT-SR). After being told our postcode and my older child ruled out NHS funding, we spent around £14,000 on a cycle that sadly left us with no embryos.

We’re still hoping there’s a chance for us, but misleading information and delays may mean we’ve now missed the age cut-off.

We’ve started a petition for fairer access—even if it comes too late for us, we want things to change for others. Please sign and share will your followers if you can. It would mean so much 🤍 x.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/769277

I personally would start investigating, theres no harm in being in the know. Fingers crossed you wont need to consider alternatives but age plays a big factor for us women xxx

New posts on this thread. Refresh page