Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Failed IVF @ 42 - advice, please

Londonwriter · 12/07/2022 19:24

Looking for discussion/advice.

We started TTC at 33 and, over the last nine years, I’ve been pregnant twice.

I had a surprise natural conception @ 36 following immune treatment (I have an unknown life-altering immune disease) and a successful IVF cycle @ 39 following immune treatment/natural FET with 12 eggs, 7 mature, 7 blasts of which 6 were suitable for freezing, 1 PGS normal.

I’ve just returned @ 42 to try to have a DC3. My AFC is ~10, my AMH was about 4.5 a year ago, and I started on a standard older ladies’ 225 meriofert 225 fostimon stims. After four days, we had ten follicles visible, but two huge dominant follicles (15mm on first scan) and, although we asked for advice about cancelling the cycle, they continued stimming at lower doses to try to develop the other eggs, and eventually collected three eggs from six growing follicles - three of the follicles being huge (4cm, 3.5cm and 2.5cm haemorraghic cysts). One of the cysts leaked after the egg collection and I ended up spending all night in A&E with the pain.

All three eggs got to Day 5, but we only got one freezable blast (one morula arrested and the other was morphologically abnormal on Day 6).

We’re obviously devastated. We had only budgeted for one IVF cycle and my husband thinks the single blast means I now have such severe age-related infertility that there is no point continuing.

Just wondered whether this had happened to anyone else and what was the outcome?

OP's posts:
Please
or

PMAmostofthetime · 14/07/2022 13:24

Hi @Londonwriter I'm not in the same position but I didn't want to read and run. As your IVF is years after your last cycles they started you on the highest which is the norm- the fact you had large follicles meant you responded well the the treatment and if the one blast is not successful they will be able to reduce your meds accordingly so you get more next time.

I am the other way around never been pregnant started IVF first round low dose to see how I got on- I got 8 eggs 5 fertilised but none got to day 5- changed my protocol this time around I had a call to say o had 18 fertilise out of 20.

Don't give up hope.

Good Luck x

Please
or

Londonwriter · 14/07/2022 13:33

Thank you so much xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Stonebridge · 15/07/2022 07:42

Hi I have had 2 rounds of ivf and both times just ended up with just 1 viable blast at day 5 but both ended in pregnancy.
I hope your little one makes it whenever you go for transfer.
Take care xx

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.