Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Buserelin - Delay in next cycle!? :(

IVFGotThis05 · 06/07/2022 14:57

Hello,

So I had a phone call today from the nurse in my clinic to book me in for my 2nd round of IVF and egg collection is booked for OCTOBER ... :(

I feel like that is so long away ! All because they are struggling to get hold of Buserelin, apparently the company they use aren't doing it anymore!? I didn't get the full story!

Is anyone else in the same boat? Have you heard anything about it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Imisscoffee2021 · 06/07/2022 15:02

I'm having my first round of ICSI in August, and have been told I'll be doing short protocol. With my results I had always thought I'd do long but when I asked for clarity they said they're out of long protocol drugs, which would be Buserlin. Think it's a national issue :(

Please
or

IVFGotThis05 · 06/07/2022 15:06

Aw man I hope that's still a suitable protocol for you !? I suppose if that's the only option there's not much more we can do about it !

Even still, it's very disheartening !!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Imisscoffee2021 · 06/07/2022 15:09

The nurse assurres me that as I fall smack bang in the middle of "normal" and we have MFI then I could do either. I'd rather throw everything and the kitchen sink at it and do long, get as many eggs as possible as I'm 34 so time is sort of on my side for egg quality, to reduce chance of having no embryos at day 5 as im aware MFI can have hidden issues that cause a drop off, but we paid for the multi cycle so we'll try this first one and hoping if unsuccessful, by the time the next comes around they'll be in a position to do long again! It was a wierd conversation though, almost felt like a secret I'd had to pry out!

Please
or

IVFGotThis05 · 06/07/2022 15:24

Ah I am in a similar position to you ! I'll be 34 in December and we have MFI and I have irregular cycles! Yes !! I felt that too, she told me they were struggling to get the medication which is why my appointment is so far away and that they hope it will be sorted by then!? So I then asked 'what's the plan if it's not!?' ..

Surely tell me that in the same sentence, I will obviously want to know. Otherwise I would get to October and not know what's going on. I mean I'm sure they would tell me before then but still..

I am very grateful for IVF but my goodness it's such a battle and 1 huge waiting game !

OP's posts:
Please
or

Imisscoffee2021 · 06/07/2022 15:28

It's like a cruel twist for people who already are at their wits end before going into IVF! To have to wait even longer! I'm glad to hear some clinics will wait when long protocol is best for that individual person. I have regular cycles and currently no other issues but MFI so hoping I just miraculously respond really well to the stims and produce plenty of eggs, but people do say the first cycle is a baseline almost to see how you go so trying not to be too hopeful and thinking of it as a test run almost. Hope it's not too long of a wait and that the meds become available again, you'd think they'd ship from another supplier fast!

Please
or

IVFGotThis05 · 06/07/2022 15:37

Yeah this is my 2nd round of IVF, although we aren't changing anything from first round (unless of course the buserelin doesn't sort itself out) So it feels abit deflating you know, I thought once you had 1 round of IVF they would look into changing things, trying something else etc but they just said because I responded well at all stages other than implantation then they wouldn't be changing anything and it's just a numbers game ! So here's to the next round, hopefully respond well on whatever protocol !

I hope you have a good round !! Jump on an August thread if you aren't already, there a great help during a cycle ! If you have any questions, just ask ! :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ifitistobesaid · 06/07/2022 15:42

I used Buserelin for my trigger injection back in February and it was hard to get hold of even then. The clinic didn’t have any and had to call around to loads of Central London pharmacies before they could find one.

Please
or

IVFGotThis05 · 06/07/2022 16:05

@Ifitistobesaid Oh no really !!? It just doesn't look good does it ! I really hope they get something sorted soon, it will have a huge impact on IVF availability!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PMAmostofthetime · 08/07/2022 22:31

Hi, I'm on long protocol now and was given more Burserelin today ( Suprecur brand)

I'm in Wales.

The rest of my meds were given to me 3 weeks ago x

Please
or

Tinkerbell098 · 18/07/2022 16:11

I've been told the same thing regarding Buserelin (Suprecur). The clinic is expecting a delivery start of August, but hasn't been confirmed by the supplier yet. My cycle will also be delayed if they don't get it in in the next couple of weeks. They said short is also an option although there is a massive waiting list for short, so cannot guarantee that I'd start next cycle. I really hope they manage to get some stock in soon. Good luck to everyone X

Please
or

Tinkerbell098 · 21/07/2022 10:39

Has anyone heard from their clinics regarding Buserelin? is it back in stock now?

@PMAmostofthetime great your clinic got hold of some for you. Hope your cycle is going well.

Please
or

IVFGotThis05 · 21/07/2022 12:50

I wont hear anything until September, but I do hope you are all able to get some ready to start another cycle !! 🙏

OP's posts:
Please
or

Imisscoffee2021 · 21/07/2022 18:51

Mine is sticking with short protocol for me, and in my final nurse appointment today she said cyclogest progesterone pessaries are now also running low! Hope short works for me, need lots of eggs as we have MFI with a high drop off rate chance.

Please
or

Tinkerbell098 · 01/08/2022 08:24

@Imisscoffee2021 they’re sticking with short for me too. I have to ring up on CD1 and they’ll see if they can slot me in. It’s worrying about cyclogest. When do you start?

Please
or

Imisscoffee2021 · 01/08/2022 08:50

@Tinkerbell098 I've got my meds now and been given ultrogestan instead of cycologest, guess it's just a brand name difference really. I start on cycle day 2 of next period, so shoukd be August 20th if I'm as regular as usual! Same as you need to call them on CD1 and get in for baseline scan and start meds next day, annoyingly I'm due on a weekend this month which moves things round by a day or two but they said it won't make much difference.
When do you think you'll be starting?

Please
or

Tinkerbell098 · 02/08/2022 15:13

@Imisscoffee2021 ah that's great. Not long to go at all! If I am lucky and they can slot me in, I could start next week as CD1 falls mid week-ish next week. If not, it would be same time Sept.

Please
or

Welp1988 · 02/08/2022 23:51

Hi all, mumsnet newbie here. I'm feeling all your pain. Started 2nd short protocol in june, cancelled after 5 days as i got covid. Got a horrible week long bleed after. No idea when period will start so I can start re-stimming but hoping and praying it is in time for buserelin restock and delivery. Hubby is currently furious trying to find the odd pharmacy that has it, we only need one vial for the trigger shot. I'm sort of enjoying being able to drink booze and coffee again but today I had a panic and cry about time slipping away, plus sept to dec is always crazy busy with work. Still learning to deal with the ttc ivf waiting game x

Please
or

CriCril · 09/08/2022 11:19

Hi,
I’m about to start my first round of ICSI and we too have been hit with the Buserelin shortage, I was wondering what your clinics have suggested as an alternative or solution? Have alternative down regulator drugs ever been offered?
Thanks in advance for any advice, pretty anxious times. x

Please
or

Imisscoffee2021 · 09/08/2022 12:01

I got my meds and my trigger shot is gonasi, so there are alternatives. I have menopur and fyremadel for the stimming, on another thread a fellow August stimmer has meriofert. Seems to be other brands that do the same thing, I just really hope the Dr's are right and I produce enough eggs with short as my results meant o could easily have long and we want as many good eggs as we can to tackle my husbands MFI. Fingers crossed for us all! X

Please
or

Welp1988 · 09/08/2022 13:24

I've not been offered any alternatives due to OHSS risk but there definitely are, would ask the clinic and try and find a 2nd opinion as well

Please
or

Tinkerbell098 · 10/08/2022 12:06

@CriCril My clinic is still out of Buserelin, and have put me on short protocol. I have read that there is something called Prostap that can be used as a one off injection for downregs, but more expensive. But I haven't been offered any alternative.

Please
or

Undermilkgood · 11/08/2022 06:51

@CriCril I started a cycle on Tuesday and I've been given Nafarelin instead of Buserelin - it's a nasal spray rather than injections, but the clinic assured me it's just as effective. Definitely worth asking about alternatives.

Please
or

CriCril · 11/08/2022 09:00

Thank you so much. Managed to get a consultation with them next week where I will ask all alternatives x

Please
or

LetstalkaboutBruno · 12/08/2022 23:16

Hey!

Jumping on the Buserelin train... I have also had my treatment delayed due to the shortages. I have to trigger with it and I am not able to have any alternative due to my AMH being so high. I have looked in to other options and discussed these with the clinic, and they have said that they are not suitable one way or another.

So here I am, waiting for ??? how long as I am waiting for Buserelin to come back in stock!

Please
or

Welp1988 · 13/08/2022 09:11

So annoying. I'm in the same boat. Am going to call my clinic in a week for an update so will keep you posted. My period is due on sep 1st and come hell or highwater I need to be stimming!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.