My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Have you ever dyed your sofa covers?

6 replies

choosyfloosy · 09/03/2008 21:06

Just wondered if anyone had done them by hand and whether it worked? Or would you say go to a professional?

OP posts:
potoftea · 10/03/2008 09:27

No experience of this. But bumping because I want to know the answer too.

helpmaboab · 10/03/2008 09:33

Haven't tried sofa covers but if they are machine washable covers i'd use the dylon stuff that you bung in the washing machine. I wouldn't attempt to do them by hand - too big, they'd turn out really patchy ime. If not machine washable i'd say go to a professional

hotcrossbunny · 10/03/2008 09:37

I did ours in the machine with dylon. I was really disappointed, patchy colour and I needed LOADS of dylon so it was expensive.

helpmaboab · 10/03/2008 09:45

It might depend a bit on what you are trying to achieve. If the covers have faded and you want to dye them the same/similar colour to make them look fresher you will prob get a pretty good result with dylon, but if you want to completely change the colour or cover a pattern or something it might not be as successful and as hotcrossbunny says it could get very expensive

choosyfloosy · 10/03/2008 10:30

Many thanks, all of you. Hotcrossbunny that's REALLY helpful. They are machine washable white covers (well, they were white a very long time ago) and I'm hoping to dye them dark green or red. Sounds like a professional job is the way to go.

OP posts:
hotcrossbunny · 10/03/2008 10:57

You're welcome I'd probably go down the professional route too - and they should be insured!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.