My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

the washing machine stinks!!!

16 replies

nearlythere · 11/04/2007 14:44

I have so far tried:

90deg wash with vinegar
90deg wash with soda crystals
60 deg wash with bleach
washing machine cleaner stuff
cleaned seals/ drawer/ filter etc

last option is bi-carb but what would i do with it?

OP posts:
MrsBadger · 11/04/2007 14:46

I bought Washing Machine Cleaner from tesco
£1.99
machine now smells lovely

nearlythere · 11/04/2007 14:49

i tried a washing machine cleaner thing and it smelt okay for all of about a day then started to pong again!

help!! i love my machine but its really annoying me these days!

OP posts:
talcy · 11/04/2007 14:51

Is it coming from the drainage pipe/plumbing thing?

tinkerbellhadpiles · 11/04/2007 14:51

More likely to be a drain issue than a washing machine issue - have you tried cleaning the outpipe? It's probably got a sock or a breast pad stuck up it and is basically collecting crud in the pipe, which then smells back up into the machine.

jellyhead · 11/04/2007 14:52

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

talcy · 11/04/2007 14:54

wished i'd shown mine a little bit more respect

Was so nice to it for the first week

Now it's really unloved
and it stinks

clarinsgirl · 11/04/2007 14:55

Bicarbonate of soda and 90 degree wash works for me. Apparently using non bios or liquids causes build ups that smell

nearlythere · 11/04/2007 15:11

i have checked all the pipes etc- dh blames me for using too much smelly stuff (fabric conditioner!!)

OP posts:
tinkerbellhadpiles · 11/04/2007 15:33

What is the smell like? You could have a dead mouse down the back?

nearlythere · 11/04/2007 15:49

the smell is a combination of nappy-pong, damp and musty, and dead cabbage! you can imagine its not pleasant!

I'm going to try the bi-carb when i get home and failing that i shall take a trip to curry's and buy the coveted aqualtis!!!

OP posts:
wangle99 · 11/04/2007 18:01

Do you wash regularly or do you go a few days without washing in the machine?

My mum had this problem, her landlord is a washing machine repair guy and explained why it happened. I'll email her and ask what he said just in case it helps....

wangle99 · 11/04/2007 22:09

Spoke to my Mum and she said she was told to run the machine through once or twice on a boil wash with nothing in the machine at all.

She hasn't done it because she only washes at night and is paranoid about doing such a hot wash while she's asleep! So don't know if it works or not.

HTH

clairemow · 11/04/2007 22:31

my mum told me that the "washing machine man" had told her it could be the smell from mouldy old bits of person, i.e. skin, lurking in the machine and growing bacteria(yuk!) and suggested the hottest wash possible with soda crystals, but you've already tried that! How about a hotter wash with bleach in it? He also advised washing towels separately, and on the hottest wash they can take, to kill off any bacteria. Now I have not a clue whether all that's true/accurate or not, but she says her machine smells lovely now...

I wash nappies too, and after a tip on MN, always put some vinegar in the conditioner tray (never use conditioner), which seems to stop the machine smelling and stops the nappies smelling of cabbages...

nearlythere · 12/04/2007 10:26

well- i got the bi-carb on the way home last night trundled into the kitchen and decided i couldn't stand the sight of it any more- aqualtis being delivered later today!! i shall look after this one (i shall, i shall, i shall!)

OP posts:
nannynick · 12/04/2007 16:31

New machine... nice soluition.

When you switch over the machines, check that nothing is leaking - as perhaps some smell is caused by dampness behind the washer.

Fixed my mums washer at the weekend, it had been leaking from the waste pipe for several months and it was damp and smelly at the back.

nearlythere · 12/04/2007 16:35

just lazy you see!!! great excuse though, i've been after that one for weeks!!

the kind men have apparently delivered and connected it- there wasn't any dampness behind the old machine just lots of toy cars- the delivery guy did mention though to the cleaner that "whew, i see what she meant about the pong"

he he he he i have the aqualtis- na na na na na nah to whowever it was i was talking to a coule if weeks ago about it!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.