My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

attack of the (fruit?) flies...help!!!

6 replies

notsolilKel · 18/01/2007 16:15

Hi all you clean and tidy mums,
I've been bombarded with these tiny little flies for the past week or 2. They look like fruit flies, but I'm no expert. They tend to hover near warm light bulbs and around people or food. We've tried putting our potted plants outside and it doesn't make much difference -- net result is plants get blown over in this gale!!

Any ideas here? Do I need an exterminator or is there some (cheaper please) nifty way to find out where these buggers are coming from & kill 'em all??

Thanks in adv

OP posts:
MamaG · 18/01/2007 16:23

Somebody on here told me how to get rid of them and it worked.

Get a clean jar (jam jar/washed out pasta sauce jar etc), put some v ripe fruit in bottom (I used banana), cling film over top and then put little holes in - TINY holes, just big enough for hte little beasts to get in.

The can't get out.

I just chucked the whole jar when I'd got rid of them, I was NOT kind enough to set them free outside

good luck

notsolilKel · 18/01/2007 16:25

ooh it's cheap, easy, environmentally kind, and I can actually see them collect & die! Thanks will give it a go!!

OP posts:
MrsBadger · 18/01/2007 16:38

(NB it's usually the kitchen bin or the fruit bowl rather than the potplants)

notsolilKel · 18/01/2007 18:32

I've got a tempting jar of banana out, as directed. No takers since 4pm though. Hmm.

What do I do if it's the bin? It's been emptied every couple of days and I didn't see anything active in there when I looked yesterday...

OP posts:
MamaG · 19/01/2007 14:24

give it time

lizbet316 · 30/01/2007 19:50

vinegar works well too - I was plagued by these things for weeks and no fly killer stuff worked at all
the vinegar with cling film was brilliant - felt so therapeutic chucking all the dead ones down the loo.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.