Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

URGENT break in dorset/devon in the next few days?

14 replies

zannah · 08/07/2003 21:22

anyone know of anywhere - near beach - pretty - cottage maybe? have tried loads of websites and come up with nithing.
only want a few days either this or next week
HELP!

OP posts:
Please
or

SueW · 08/07/2003 21:39

If you can cope with a caravan you could try Sandhills - static caravan site right next to the beach in Dorset. They have some apartments too.

My mum and I took DD and my niece last year and we're heading back again this year.

Please
or

Furball · 08/07/2003 22:05

There's also Ruda right on the beach, really nice walks etc. They also do apartments and a cottage. Obviously I'm not sure, of availabilty though.

Where abouts in the UK did you have in mind.

Please
or

Furball · 08/07/2003 22:06

Sorry, Of course you want Devon/Dorset, I'd better go for a lie down!

Please
or

bossykate · 08/07/2003 22:09

these hotels might be some help, most expensive first:

Moonfleet Manor , or

Knoll House Hotel , or

Fairfields Hotel , or

for self-catering try Lyme Bay Holidays . We stayed at a great place in Charmouth with them last year - going back again next month.

hth.

Please
or

Wills · 08/07/2003 22:11

Zannah. I booked a caravan in Devon a couple of days ago. We depart on Saturday. Booked through hoseasons....

www.hoseasons.co.uk

There were other caravans + sites around and some even had holiday villas/apartments. Certainly worth a try but I would get their phone number off the site and phone up rather than trawl through their brochure,

Good luck

Please
or

tamum · 08/07/2003 22:41

I'd second Lyme Bay Holidays if you like that area. We've used them for years and they're always spot-on with their advice. They get booked up REALLY early every year, but there might be a few things left on their books. I would give them a call and see if they can help. Have a good time!

Please
or

nobby · 08/07/2003 22:49

Sorry, no phone numbers. But Branscombe and Beer are both really lovely if you manage to find anywhere near there. Until recently Branscombe had chalets right on the beach - beautiful - but these have been sold off now. Boo hoo.

Please
or

zannah · 08/07/2003 23:36

this is my first trip to mums net - I can't believe all your responses so soon - thanks - will get on the phone in the morning!

OP posts:
Please
or

SamboM · 09/07/2003 09:23

Burgh Island Hotel is really excellent.

Please
or

zannah · 09/07/2003 22:23

still no luck I'm afraid - 2 of the hotels had vacancies and looked fab - but too pricey - maybe next year.
will keep trying as have a few days next week too
thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

SueW · 10/07/2003 00:08

What about these:

Avonmouth Hotel

Pines Hotel

Gundimore Lodge

<a class="break-all" href="http://www.christchurchtourism.info/accm/slf_ctrg.html\Christchurch" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">www.christchurchtourism.info/accm/slf_ctrg.html\Christchurch Tourism}

Please
or

SueW · 10/07/2003 00:09

Try again..... I'll preview this time

Christchurch Tourism

Please
or

Rian · 10/07/2003 22:29

Gara Rock hotel near salcombe in devon is really nice & laid back & not as pricey as lots of child friendly hotels. they do good deals outside the school holidays. It is just above a lovely sandy cove - footpath takes about 5/10 mins (depending on child!), not really suitable for buggies tho. We went there 2 years ago with our kids, then 4 & 2 and all had a great time, hope to go back some day. phone no is 01548 842 342, website www.gara.co.uk

Please
or

tigermoth · 11/07/2003 06:42

zaqnnah, have you tried contacting the local tourist offices? I know there's a good one in Kingsbridge, for instance. They should be able to give you have accommodation details for that part of South Devon. Lots of lovely beaches in the vacinity.

You'll probably get info on small local hotels and B&Bs but they may have info on self catering chalets and cottages too - the ones that aren't advertised nationally or belong to a big holiday company.

Hope you find something good!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?