Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

short break..cotswolds? north wales?

13 replies

bea · 12/04/2003 10:54

thinking of going for short 2 night break withh dd (22 months) - oh yes and dh - (someone has to do the driving!!! ) we live in brum, so we want to go somewhere not too far...stay in a hotel/guest house with family suite - dd has to have a separate room, so a place with interconnecting rooms would be great!... and nice walks... gardnes to visit... just relaxing and family friendly... but with good food... (and possible baby listening service,) is this asking a lot? do such places exist - withpout being too pricey as well!?

thank you... alll you well heeled travellers!!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 12/04/2003 11:07

The place that springs to mind (although I've only read about it, not been there) is the Lygon Arms (www.the-lygon-arms.co.uk). It looks lovely, but it is pricey.
Have a good time, anyway!

Please
or

bea · 12/04/2003 11:30

tamum! - looks absolutely gorgeous!!!!.... but very very pricey!... still tempted though!... any more ideas anyone!?

OP posts:
Please
or

bea · 12/04/2003 18:02

I found this

The Evesham Hotel...

freespace.virgin.net/evesham.hotel/

looks lovely... anyone been there?

OP posts:
Please
or

JaneyT · 13/04/2003 20:27

bea - if you want to go to the Cotswolds area - there is a hotel on Broadway just about opposite the Lygon Arms (outrageously expensive !) called The Broadway Hotel - olde worlde etc - it is part of a chain, including the Bear of Rodborough near Stroud - we have stayed there with and without children - most do baby listening - I think chain is called Heritage Hotels - we also stayed in one called The Manor - they are all old coaching inns, Manor houses etc - lots of nice little towns, villages in the Cotswolds with ducks etc, and nice pubs and lots of different shops and antique typr places - would definately recommend as is not too far from B'ham.

Please
or

bells2 · 14/04/2003 08:01

I would only recommend the Lygon Arms if you get a discount rate through Lastminute.com or similar. It really is very expensive otherwise and the rooms aren't that special.

Please
or

Azure · 14/04/2003 08:27

What about Calcot Manor in the Cotswolds? We booked up a few weekends ago but had to cancel due to a funeral; however, you can get a family suite with separate room for dd. There is a baby-listening service, creche and 10% discount for Mumsnet subscribers!

Please
or

tamum · 14/04/2003 08:59

Calcot Manor is nice, we've stayed there. I preferred Woolley Grange, which although not in the Cotswolds is only a couple of hours drive from B'ham, so maybe that's another possibility? There's also the Old Bell at Malmesbury. All quite pricey though! I did read a good review of The Evesham, but it would be nice to get feedback from someone who'd actually been, wouldn't it? Maybe you could let us know when you've been, Bea, and give us a review!

Please
or

bea · 14/04/2003 19:38

thank you for all the possibilities... all sound very intriguing... might seriously look in calcot manor... i mean a 10% discount!!!!

i definietly will report back to you all if we do actually make it out wherever, whenever!!! but wouldn't hold your breath... still it's lovely bookmarking all these possibilities...

but still open for any more ideas!!!???

OP posts:
Please
or

bea · 14/04/2003 19:53

thinking of places in north wales as well!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

iota · 14/04/2003 21:09

We love the Lake Vyrnwy hotel www.lakevyrnwy.com/
great food, lovely staff, beautiful countryside. Take your baby monitor to dinner with you.
Not sure if they have 2 connecting rooms though. we stayed in a big room with a sitting area, with a z bed for ds1 and a travel cot for ds2

Please
or

rosehip · 17/04/2003 21:26

Llandudno have a victorian weekend on 2-6 May. That is a lovely seaside town. The Orme is lovely, happy valley for a picnic (M&S nearby!)/ball games, the beach is clean and lots of people are flying kites. There is a huge fun fair that weekend. The Empire Hotel and St. Tudno Hotel are both very good. PS. quite a good little town for shopping! Hope wherever you choose you have a great time - holidays are precious!

Please
or

bea · 24/04/2003 10:29

it's great the amount of information i'm collecting... still not decided... but am regularly surfing to see the deals...

thanks for all the info so far!

OP posts:
Please
or

bea · 24/04/2003 10:29

it's great the amount of information i'm collecting... still not decided... but am regularly surfing to see the deals...

thanks for all the info so far!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?