Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Montenegro

15 replies

Wishimaywishimight · 23/04/2022 15:54

Thinking of Montenegro for a September trip. Looking at a mix of Kotor and either Budva or Becici. Has anyone been?

OP posts:
Please
or

CraftyGin · 23/04/2022 15:56

We went to Kotor on a cruise. The sail-in was amazing. Kotor itself is a mini-Dubrovnik.

Please
or

AmbushedByCake1 · 23/04/2022 16:08

Kotor is beautiful. I stayed in the bay for a week. Budva was too kick of a touristy resort for me. The old part of the town was nice but not the rest. We also really liked Hercig Novi and Sveti Stefan.

Please
or

backtobusy · 23/04/2022 16:15

We visited Kotor, it was lovely but totally dominated by huge cruise ships.
Without them it would be fantastic but it is quite small.

Please
or

MarshmallowSwede · 23/04/2022 16:19

I went to Budva and Kotor.. was lovely. One of the best holidays I’ve ever had. I much prefer it over Spain as it was less of a mess and less drunk people.

Please
or

PAFMO · 23/04/2022 16:32

I visited all those places using Budva as a base.
Bloody loved it and would go back in a shot.

Please
or

Kapalika · 25/04/2022 03:07

@Wishimaywishimight I am Montenigrian through my parents. We holiday there almost every year.
This year we are staying in Becici for 5 nights and then moving to our villa in Muo, Kotor for 10 nights. My father left us his house there when he passed away about 8 years ago.
I would absolutely recommend it, but feel free to ask any questions!

Please
or

Wishimaywishimight · 25/04/2022 09:41

@Kapalika Thanks so much, I do appreciate that. My husband has talked about going to Montenegro for several years now and we had planned to go in 2020 (didn't happen obviously!) so it looks like we are finally getting around to it this year. I don't have many questions yet as we are in the early stages of planning. One thing I did see on Tripadvisor is that Kotor gets quite a lot of rain (presumably a lot less than here in Ireland!) but just wondered is September a good time to go?

It looks like we are probably going to spend 3 days in Kotor and 7 in Becici so I will definitely ask some more questions before we go.

Many thanks all for your responses, you have definitely helped make the decision to go!

OP posts:
Please
or

JenniferBarkley · 25/04/2022 09:47

We stayed in Becici and did day trips, walks etc. I wasn't particularly impressed with either Becici or Budva as resorts - lots of Russians clubbing iirc. But the coastline is beautiful, as is the old town of Budva. We just did a day trip to Kotor, it was gorgeous.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 25/04/2022 09:49

I haven’t but someone was raving about it to me last week

Please
or

Kapalika · 26/04/2022 06:10

Wishimaywishimight · 25/04/2022 09:41

@Kapalika Thanks so much, I do appreciate that. My husband has talked about going to Montenegro for several years now and we had planned to go in 2020 (didn't happen obviously!) so it looks like we are finally getting around to it this year. I don't have many questions yet as we are in the early stages of planning. One thing I did see on Tripadvisor is that Kotor gets quite a lot of rain (presumably a lot less than here in Ireland!) but just wondered is September a good time to go?

It looks like we are probably going to spend 3 days in Kotor and 7 in Becici so I will definitely ask some more questions before we go.

Many thanks all for your responses, you have definitely helped make the decision to go!

Hello! @Wishimaywishimight Not at all.
I can't comment on Becici as I have never been before. All my mother said was ‘well, that's a very nice place to visit. It's very well to do!’

Kotor is what I know best. I prefer the Muo side as the views are better imo. It looks out over the Old Town and the night lights are spectacular. Opposite the bay (Boka Kotorska) you have Dobrota and other small places. You will get the sun for much longer but the view isn't as nice.
Perast is stunning, truly. Ljuta is also beautiful and pricey. The water is clear there too as it's located on the edge of the fjord. Personally I would go for somewhere with a pool if you have children.

I visited once in September in 2013 for my brother’s wedding and it rained the entire week. However, everybody said this was really out of the ordinary. In August it’s really hot, up to 40 which can be uncomfortable for me. I’m not selling it well, am I?!

In all honestly you can’t go wrong with Kotor. It never fails to impress me even though I’m mid forties and have been visiting from childhood.

As one poster has said there are a lot of Russians, probably due to the language similarities and the existing friendship. (Not something we boast about). Interestingly, there are very many Irish too! A lot of Irish investment in the country.
I would visit Budva itself when I visited 20 years ago. It’s definitely a party town during the Summer and their old town is beautiful, but I wouldn’t stay for more than a day.
If you do go, I would recommend Lovcen National Park and the Njegosi Mausoleum. It’s out of this world.
hope this helps somewhat, but again feel free to ask!

Please
or

Wishimaywishimight · 26/04/2022 10:00

@Kapalika That is incredibly helpful you, I am going to print out your post and keep it with my holiday notes!! It would of course be disappointing to get lots of rain in September but it wouldn't spoil what I think will be a fabulous holiday and your tips are hugely valuable.

OP posts:
Please
or

Wishimaywishimight · 26/04/2022 10:00

@Kapalika That is incredibly helpful you, I am going to print out your post and keep it with my holiday notes!! It would of course be disappointing to get lots of rain in September but it wouldn't spoil what I think will be a fabulous holiday and your tips are hugely valuable.

OP posts:
Please
or

Wishimaywishimight · 26/04/2022 10:01

OP posts:
Please
or

Wishimaywishimight · 26/04/2022 10:02

OP posts:
Please
or

Wishimaywishimight · 26/04/2022 10:03

Apologies for the multiple posts - I kept getting a 'server error'!!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?