Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Fit to Fly test recommendations

13 replies

saltedcaramelanything · 17/08/2021 22:13

Feels a bit of a minefield with all the different companies. Has anyone used one that they would recommend - not expensive/timely results?

We'll need it ones before flying to the US and then on our return (unless rules change again before end of Sept!)

OP posts:
Please
or

saltedcaramelanything · 18/08/2021 10:26

Hopeful bump

OP posts:
Please
or

Paq · 18/08/2021 22:02

My friend recommended Boots. You book online and then nominate your nearest branch.

When are you going to the US? Is travel between UK and US still restricted?

Please
or

saltedcaramelanything · 18/08/2021 22:09

@Paq Oh I didn't realise Boots was doing them. I'd feel safer doing it through someplace like that

I'm a US citizen (in the UK), so I'm able to - regular tourists still aren't allowed in from the UK or most of Europe

OP posts:
Please
or

PandoraP · 18/08/2021 22:10

We flew today and did the test at Heathrow before flight. Quick and easy!!

Please
or

saltedcaramelanything · 18/08/2021 22:12

Could I ask how much it was there @PandoraP

OP posts:
Please
or

lurker101 · 18/08/2021 22:13

We used express test in person testing at Heathrow. Longest wait for PCR was about 16hrs (Sunday evening to bank hol Monday morning) and shortest was 11hrs. Great service - £59 for fit to fly

www.expresstest.co.uk/

Please
or

Paq · 18/08/2021 22:13

Ah, I'm glad for you. I was hoping to get to America to see my sister in October for her significant birthday but it's looking unlikely 🙁

Please
or

SoTiredNeedHoliday · 18/08/2021 22:20

money saving expert link to the covid tests available:
Cheapest private covid travel tests

Please
or

PandoraP · 18/08/2021 22:27

@saltedcaramelanything, we paid £35 for a test for DS2. The rest of us didn’t need a test.

Please
or

saltedcaramelanything · 19/08/2021 08:46

Thanks @Paq - can't believe it's been 2yrs since I've seen my family now.

@lurker101 If it's 11-16hrs for a result did you have to go the day before your flight to do it?

OP posts:
Please
or

lurker101 · 19/08/2021 08:50

@saltedcaramelanything we went two days before because the results are “guaranteed” by 10pm the next day I.e. a test today would expect results by 10pm Friday. But our experience was significantly quicker results (as have a few friends who have done it).

Please
or

SoupDragon · 19/08/2021 08:55

I used ExpressTest. Not cheap but it was conveniently located in my nearest shopping centre. Very efficient with results in under 24 hours.

Please
or

PandoraP · 19/08/2021 09:18

@saltedcaramelanything, just to add that if you book your test at Heathrow the result is within 15-20 mins. We went through to departure and you just need the result before you board.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?