Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Half term in autumn.

22 replies

formyboys · 23/08/2020 07:51

Any thoughts? Don't want to be quarantined but feel that we will need to get away somewhere to break the inevitable monotony...

OP posts:
Please
or

SJaneS48 · 23/08/2020 14:58

The list of countries included on the quarantine list is changing weekly. I think from a pragmatic point of view you’d be better with a last minute booking, I know this would be more expensive but Sod’s law if you book now, it’ll be to somewhere you’ll either be advised not to go to or will have to quarantine when you get back/get there.

Please
or

formyboys · 23/08/2020 16:56

Yep I'm sure you're right.

OP posts:
Please
or

rookiemere · 23/08/2020 18:24

If you book flights with Easyjet you can change destination up to a fortnight in advance and they have flights available until next summer so it would be possible to change quite far in advance .

Unfortunately though I do think you need to wait if you want certainly about where you'd be going.

Please
or

cardy1969 · 29/08/2020 09:09

I agree with leaving it to the last minute. I'm keeping my eye open for flights but not sure where to go. Where is warm enough for a beach holiday in late October? Cyprus? Turkey? Cape Verde? Anyone been to these or others in October?

Please
or

nosswith · 29/08/2020 17:29

I agree also about leaving it late. Could you be happy with somewhere in the UK?

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 30/08/2020 11:18

We will be leaving it until the last minute. I would prefer going abroad but we said we would also be happy just a couple of nights away in the UK so are very flexible.

It all depends also on what will be open and bookable. We had to change our Spain holiday to UK end of July in the last minute and lots of things were fully booked up already.

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 30/08/2020 11:21

@cardy1969 We went last year to Cyprus, a real mixed bag weather wise, rain, sun or both on the same day. But it is a great country to do sightseeing so we weren't too bothered.
With sun we had high twenties, with rain around 18 (10 in the mountains). Quite chilly in the evenings and late afternoon when the sun went down.

A friend went to Cape Verde and said it was ok but very windy and nothing to do outside the resort.

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 30/08/2020 11:50

Book Friday to Friday or return on Friday so that if quarantine is proposed you'll know Thursday evening and won't have to stress about getting back in time.

Please
or

Mumtofourandnomore · 30/08/2020 15:21

We are in Turkey at the moment and it’s beautiful - we booked it last minute with TUI, the temperature is around 35 which is a little too hot, but plenty of shade available if needed. I would imagine Turkey is lovely in October and the virus rate here is low (although increasing very slightly).

Please
or

EmmaStone · 30/08/2020 19:41

I've been very bullish about bookings. Once we were in lockdown and flight prices starting plummeting, I started booking. However, we're currently quarantining after a French trip, when the quarantine was announced as we were under the Channel, and we decided to continue anyway. However, we won't be able to be quite so blasé for half terms really - DD is in Y11, so she really can't afford to miss school this year.

However, I've booked flights only (nothing else yet) for long weekends over both October and February half terms, and Easter weekend. If we get to use them, amazing - we will have had a short break somewhere new. If we have to change them, c'est la vie, we'll get to travel another time. If we lose them altogether, hey ho, they were super cheap (except Easter, they were a bit pricey).

As I say, quite bullish, but it's nice to have something to (possibly) look forward to. If the uncertainty leaves you too stressed out, then wait for last minute.

Please
or

zafferana · 05/09/2020 13:25

We've booked Easyjet tickets to Sicily for Oct half term. They were ridiculously cheap (£40 each!) and we can change them if either we can't or don't want to go nearer the time.

Airbnb apartment is cancellable up until the day before we go. The thought of going to Europe for a week before winter is just too good to pass up, but we're well aware that it may not happen. Fingers crossed!

Please
or

zzzz31 · 11/09/2020 19:28

@EmmaStone - I like your style! I feel like being bull-ish and booking flights at least... desperate to go somewhere! Can I be nosey and ask where you have booked flights to for October, February and Easter?

Please
or

FizzyPink · 23/09/2020 13:49

Placemarking for ideas closer to half term. I agree there’s no point booking anything until the last minute.
I’d be happy with a few days in the Cotswolds but would prefer to get abroad if we possibly can

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 24/09/2020 07:07

Booked flights and hotel last week to Edinburgh last week which seemed a safe bet.

A week on and already it’s looking less likely!

Should have stuck to my own advice of not doing anything until the last minute!

Please
or

AnyFucker · 24/09/2020 07:09

I went to Turkey once at Oct half term and the weather was cold, wet and windy

Please
or

FizzyPink · 24/09/2020 08:41

I had the same in Turkey a couple of years ago in October. I’ve added a load of currently safe places to my weather app to watch what’s going on. If we’re booking last minute at least we can have some idea of the weather

Please
or

MustDust · 29/09/2020 12:02

Paphos is usually lovely in October half term. I'm umming and ahhing whether to book a last minute trip, it's the getting the test before that's a pain.

Please
or

Pebblexox · 29/09/2020 12:04

I wouldn't be booking anything for October half term, as there's a lot of talk about there being potentially a two week lockdown. I think it'd be too risky right now.

Please
or

KarenSmith1980 · 29/09/2020 16:13

Egypt, I went to Hurghada last October. It was very warm (around 28 to 33) Was a really beautiful place with plenty to do. However, flights were about £300 for 1 Adult with EasyJet and flight time from Manchester was about 5hrs30 so fairly long. Still it was an amazing holiday

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 08/10/2020 21:05

Madeira will still be mild. Well, it's always mild. It's very pretty and friendly. You can do lots of walks on the levadas and might still be able to swim in the lidos. There are some adventure companies there doing eg paragliding. Maybe out of season for dolphin and whale watching though.

Please
or

Campervan69 · 09/10/2020 15:37

We have booked to go to Madeira Saturday to Friday (in case of lockdowns etc) so that is nice to hear midsomermurderess

Never been but love Portugal, they test you for free on arrival then you have to go to your accommodation until you hear the results. We've booked a private villa so will take some food out with you - apparently the results come back quickly.

Please
or

EmmaStone · 15/10/2020 14:42

[quote zzzz31]@EmmaStone - I like your style! I feel like being bull-ish and booking flights at least... desperate to go somewhere! Can I be nosey and ask where you have booked flights to for October, February and Easter?[/quote]
Sorry, just noticed this!

Well, we should be going to Croatia for half term. Flights cancelled by Easyjet, so waiting on our refunds.

Spain in February, Greece at Easter. Not looking brilliant at the moment, but who knows by February?!? Also got Italy booked for a cheeky weekend in May (just me).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?