Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Just booked a holiday for next summer

19 replies

JustPickleRick · 11/04/2020 15:32

Just booked a 2 week holiday abroad for next August (2021)
Needed something to look forward to!
Anyone else done the same?

OP posts:
Please
or

March20 · 11/04/2020 16:42

Hey. I have a holiday for May 2021. My plan is to save and I will pay the remaining balance off nearer the time. Did you get a good deal?. I can understand wanting something to look forward to as I still scroll through holidays I’m not sure I would have booked for next year had I have known about the COVID.
Plus is it could be all be sorted and you will have a fab time.

Please
or

JustPickleRick · 11/04/2020 16:54

I hope it will have all blown over by then as it's a long way away! It's already helped me to feel a little happier having it to look forward to :)

OP posts:
Please
or

JustPickleRick · 11/04/2020 16:55

Sorry forgot to answer your question, we got a good deal with a free child place which was handy :) going to somewhere we've never been before too

OP posts:
Please
or

lljkk · 11/04/2020 16:56

I hope you guys have insurance that covers anything & everything.

Please
or

User202004 · 11/04/2020 17:00

We have a holiday booked for Aug 2021, before this all kicked off. Have a holiday booked for next month but going to opt for a refund and not rebook for next year, things feel way too up in the air and our insurance wouldn't cover us for Covid on the rebooking, at least our other holiday will be covered.

Please
or

blue25 · 11/04/2020 17:00

I think you’re brave. I wouldn’t be booking any holidays for the next 18 months.

Please
or

JustPickleRick · 11/04/2020 17:01

Not possible to get travel insurance right now, websites aren't offering it until this blows over. ATOL protected though and will get insurance when I can

OP posts:
Please
or

JustPickleRick · 11/04/2020 17:05

Blue25 - I don't think I'm being brave, it's a very long way away and hopefully the world will be on it's way back to some sort of strange normality. If it's all up in the air still then that's fine and we'll deal with it :). Its giving me something to look forward to until then which is exactly what I need.

OP posts:
Please
or

March20 · 11/04/2020 18:14

I actually haven’t got travel insurance as I didn’t think there was any kind of rush as it’s so far away! I booked through TUI so assuming it’s ATOL protected. (Booked before the COVID-19)

Please
or

User202004 · 11/04/2020 18:24

@March20 I'm going to be a bore now, but you should always get insurance as soon as you book precisely because of situations like this, if you'd taken it out when you booked you'd have been covered for Covid, now you you won't be.

Please
or

Salene · 11/04/2020 18:27

No way we aren't booking anything until we know this is over , I think it could be a long time and I'm not risking losing money or going away when I feel it's not safe to do so.

Please
or

Matildathehun77 · 11/04/2020 18:44

I've looked at a few and been very tempted, there's a small deposit to pay then wouldn't have to pay anymore for another year, by which time we'd surely have a clearer picture.
I'm not convinced the travel abroad is going to spring straight back to where it was though so I'm watching and waiting for now.

Please
or

JustPickleRick · 11/04/2020 19:29

Yes we've paid a deposit and set up a direct debit for each month :)
No one can predict how next summer is going to look but i'm trying to look on the bright side and this has definitely cheered me up!

OP posts:
Please
or

Spike2020 · 11/04/2020 19:44

We have moved our holiday from May this year to May next year with Tui as part of their trandmfer for no fee deal. We had same thought something to look forward to and hopefully it will be some level of normality by this time

We do have an existing holiday for October this year, we will have to wait and see with this one.

We have not been able to book insurance yet as more than 13 months away, but I thought insurers were still I’ll offering policy’s for next year. I looked at a few sites and they were offering cover upto April next year??

Yes it may not cover COVID but think you will struggle to get any sort of cover for this now and ATOL should protect if the package company go under or cancel.

Please
or

March20 · 12/04/2020 03:54

I know lesson learnt. @User202004

Please
or

LoveIsLovely · 12/04/2020 03:59

No way would I be booking anything now, sorry.

Please
or

User202004 · 12/04/2020 08:27

@March20 sorry I think I didn't read the tone of your post right, I didn't mean to rub salt in the wounds!

Please
or

JustPickleRick · 12/04/2020 11:19

If I was booking for this summer then fair enough but next summer is so far away that hopefully we'll have turned a corner by then. If anything, at least I have something to focus on and keep me distracted whilst the world tries to recover!
The way I see it, any bookings are helping companies like tui stay afloat and the hotels abroad keep going or at least have some hope for the future of their resorts.
Completely understand why some might be worried, I'm just trying to stay positive though :)

OP posts:
Please
or

MarieG10 · 19/04/2020 10:09

What you need to be aware of is that if you change an existing booking t next year or book a new one, you will,NOT be covered for COVID related issues, including medical unless the companies change their stance.

I was looking to change our summer holiday but currently if it doesn't go ahead I can claim on my insurance worst case but it was pointed out to me I will lose that from the cover.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?