Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Flight booked for Friday, plane's still flying!!!

14 replies

KenDodd · 07/04/2020 14:10

Booked on a flight for this Friday between two US cities, the flight time has been moved twice. Cheap ticket, no charges no refunds.
Originally leaving about 7pm (booked last year)
Airline changed time to 8.30pm last week.
Airline changed time again to 11am at the weekend.

I can't get through on the phone or a reply to emails (understandable)
If I cancel do you think they'll refund my money? It's four tickets so quite a lot.
Obviously, we won't be on the plane regardless of what time it leaves.

OP posts:
Please
or

bluegrasse · 07/04/2020 14:13

I think it's highly unlikely that they will give you a refund, have you got travel insurance?

Please
or

KenDodd · 07/04/2020 14:24

Travel insurance say they're not paying any claim relating to CV even though insurance was taken out long before this disease was ever heard of.

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 07/04/2020 14:25

Which airline is it?. Most of them are giving customers a free option to defer their journey.

Did you pay by credit card?.

Please
or

KenDodd · 07/04/2020 14:49

My airline is also giving free changes atm. That's no use to me though, I'm in the UK and won't be going to America for the forseeable future.

OP posts:
Please
or

KenDodd · 07/04/2020 14:49

I did pay by credit card.

OP posts:
Please
or

KenDodd · 07/04/2020 14:57

I've been waiting and hoping they just cancel the flights for that day. I figured then they'd have to give me a refund (?) and hoped the eight hour time change might be enough of a reason to justify a refund.

I'm also hoping for a refund from our transatlantic flights but haven't heard back from the airline (again understandable)

OP posts:
Please
or

PleasantVille · 07/04/2020 14:59

If the plane is flying I don't think you'd be entitled to a refund but no harm in asking. I'm not sure going via the credit card will work either as the service is still being provided but again it's always worth finding out.

Please
or

KenDodd · 08/04/2020 12:04

Finally got to speak to them and I'm getting a full refund!

I feel a bit bad in a way, almost as if we should split the difference because of all the people who will lose their jobs because of this.

OP posts:
Please
or

KenDodd · 08/04/2020 12:05

Having said that, lots of companies are paying massive dividends to shareholders while going cap in hand to the taxpayer for bailouts.

OP posts:
Please
or

Tartyflette · 08/04/2020 12:07

British Airways has cancelled my flight to Bologna at the end of May but not the return flight one week later! I don't know how they think I'm going to be able to use it....

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 08/04/2020 12:12

Tartyflette why would they expect you to use it? If it's a return ticket and one leg is cancelled they will refund it all.

Please
or

notimagain · 08/04/2020 15:17

British Airways has cancelled my flight to Bologna at the end of May but not the return flight one week later! I don't know how they think I'm going to be able to use it....

Daft question number 1 but I have to ask - are they on the same booking reference i.e. was it booked as a return?

FWIW about a week back they cancelled both legs simultaneously of return of mine I was due to fly end of April..single e-mail from BA for the booking confirming cancellation of both legs.

Please
or

notimagain · 08/04/2020 15:18

Sorry...just caught up with rest of thread, glad it worked out but sorry you lost the flights

Please
or

gillybean2 · 17/04/2020 05:49

@Tartyflette I have the exact same issue. Flights booked at same time and have the same booking reference. Outward flight cancelled but no mention of the return flight. Can’t get through on the helpline, it says they’re too busy to take the call and hangs up on me. I’ve filled in the online complaints form but not expecting a reply any time soon.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?