Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

loveholidays - what to do about booking?

4 replies

Ladybythebeach · 26/03/2020 15:58

Hello,

Have looked through the other recent threads about holidays which will have to be rearranged due to recent, crazy events.
I haven't seen any comments/advice relating to 'loveholidays' specifically so apologies if I've missed it.

Background: family of four booked holiday to Majorca end of July. First beach holiday since before DS1 arrived (he's now 7), so obviously super excited. Chose to pay deposit of £200 when booking in Jan and then monthly payments of £600. Paid February's but obviously things have become much more concerning since then and we're due to make March's payment in a few days.

Loveholidays do not want to speak to anyone who is not travelling in the next 7 days (this info is on their website and was sent in an email). Fair enough, there are obviously people due to travel soon and people stuck abroad.

I completely understand that the holiday is unlikely to happen and that's fine given everything else that is going on.
The only information I can find on the loveholidays website, in their FAQs, is this:

'If I cannot follow my initial travel plans due to the Coronavirus outbreak, am I entitled to compensation?
You won’t be entitled to any compensation, as the reason for the holiday not continuing is outside loveholidays control.'

They also recommend to keep making monthly payments.

I do have travel insurance which is valid until end of May 2020 (annual cover purchased last year). They aren't able to offer advice, just told me to contact them if I want to make a claim.

I guess my questions are - do I keep paying? Can they cancel and just keep our money?

Does anyone have experience dealing with loveholidays? Any thoughts welcome.

OP posts:
Please
or

breadbear · 27/03/2020 13:40

I'm due to travel tomorrow and loveholidays hasn't contacted me at all! They aren't taking calls at the moment either so quite difficult to sort out anything with them. Can only talk with them over live chat and they just keep pasting the same script over and then terminate the conversation when you ask for a refund Hmm

That part about compensation is basically saying you won't be entitled to compensation on top of the refund so don't worry about that.

If you're happy to have this holiday rescheduled or take a voucher for the full amount paid, I would continue paying. Trips booked with love holidays are ABTA and ATOL protected so you will still get your money back if they happen to go bust.

If you need the money back ASAP, I think your travel insurance will be able to claim the full amount back for you but I assume you'd have to finish payments first.

The one thing I will say is that loveholidays are downright refusing to refund anyone at this time, they are instead offering to reschedule the holiday or a loveholidays voucher that cannot be exchanged for money. Legally, if they cancel a holiday they have to provide a refund if asked, but it seems like they're trying to avoid this in hopes that the Package Travel Regulations are updated in their favour. So just be aware if you'd like a refund, they are not giving one to anyone at the moment!

Please
or

Ladybythebeach · 29/03/2020 20:13

Thanks @breadbear for replying.

Sorry to hear that you haven't heard anything despite your holiday being so imminent - how frustrating.

To be honest, I'm not too worried about a refund at this point in time. If a voucher or chance to rebook is offered, then I'm ok with that. It would just be nice to have some claer guidance/answers from loveholidays. Am not impressed with their lack of response and the fact that they've terminated the conversation with you is really poor.

Thanks again.

OP posts:
Please
or

Feduppluckingmychinhairs · 29/03/2020 22:33

I am in the same boat as you @Ladybythebeach. First ever family holiday. Paid €200 then €540, and three more payments of €540 to go. Last chance for a holiday before DD1 turns 18 and I really can not afford to lose the money Sad

I am swinging between telling the bank not to pay any more (thus losing the €740) and paying it and hoping for the best.

Please
or

CumbiaVillera · 01/04/2020 09:35

I have a holiday booked with Love Holiday for Sept. Obviously not heard anything either. I have been paying 300 per month forever. So don't want to cancel. I only get generic replies from them. My flights are with them too. BA outgoing and AA return.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?