Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Playa Del Carmen Mexico

9 replies

everyonebutme · 04/02/2020 07:56

Any recommendations for hotels in this area please. Have already stayed on Hotel Zone in Cancun so fancy a different area. Ideally adults only, AI, on the beach, not too huge, nice food and clean. Seems to be so much choice!

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 04/02/2020 10:42

What time of year are you thinking of travelling there?. I ask only as this part of the Mexican coastline has problems due to the vast amounts of sargassum seaweed deposited on beaches.

Sargassum season, when the majority of seaweed arrives in the Mexican Caribbean, runs from April to August. June also brings an increase in the amount of sargassum arriving to those shores. The Mexican government and hotels in the Yucatan Peninsula have stepped up their efforts to tackle it, however, the majority of low-budget hotels and hostels do not have the means to clean their beaches on a daily basis.

Please
or

everyonebutme · 04/02/2020 11:08

We are going in December

OP posts:
Please
or

BG2015 · 05/02/2020 18:54

Have a look at the RIU Palaces, there are a few in Playa Del Carmen. Also Moon Palace is supposed to be very luxurious but not sure if they are adults only.

I'm off to the Riu Tequila in April, not adults only though. I'm counting down the days to get some sun.

Please
or

BobbyBlueCat · 17/02/2020 14:13

The best Adults Only in Mexico are the Excellence chain.

Excellence Playa Mujeras and Excellence Riviera Cancun are No.1 on Trip Advisor for those areas and are always voted in Top 10/20 resorts.

All inclusive.
Fully Adults only (not just Adults only areas like a lot of the hotels).
Multiple pools.
Multiple restaurants.
No wristbands.
Best service you'll get anywhere.
Great food.
No hidden extras.
Best rooms you'll find (even the cheapest ones).
Not the party atmosphere like a lot of Mexican hotels where they're either full of twatty pisshead youngsters or 40-50 somethings who still act like they're on springbreak.

They beat Sandals resorts hands down yet are half the price.

Please
or

everyonebutme · 18/02/2020 07:29

@BobbyBlueCat so glad you posted that! I finally booked this one on Saturday (the Riviera one) after lots of searches, etc. I hope it lives up to expectations.

OP posts:
Please
or

BobbyBlueCat · 18/02/2020 08:13

@everyonebutme

whoop whoop.
Downside is that you've set the bar high now and you won't find anywhere else within the same price range that matches up!

What room type did you go for?
We never bother with Excellence Club level because we'd rather have extra nights instead of what EC offers.

Join the Facebook group 'WE LOVE THE EXCELLENCE RIVIERA CANCUN'. It's an unofficial group and there's lots of posts, videos and photographs on there.

Please
or

everyonebutme · 18/02/2020 08:39

We have booked a junior suite spa or pool view room. (think it was the cheapest). Thanks for the advice about the FB group - I've just requested to join. Not going until December but already looking forward to it!

OP posts:
Please
or

BobbyBlueCat · 18/02/2020 10:13

@everyonebutme good choice. In my opinion, for the extras you get in EC, it's not worth the extra money.

The 'standard' rooms are lovely.

You'll have an amazing time.
And if you like it, you've got on other Mexico, two Dominican and a new one in Jamaica to try too!
They also own 'Finest' resorts too.

We look at Sandals and other AO, AI resorts for somewhere different but the rooms/service/lack of wristbands/older crowd/food etc always make us pick an Excellence hotel again!

Please
or

everyonebutme · 24/02/2020 16:59

Thanks once again @BobbyBlueCat. And for the reassurance on the rooms. I must say I do like nice service, food and rooms. I'm not sure if we fall into the 'older crowd' profile though - we're in our 50s!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?