Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Malta. Where to stay

4 replies

GiveUsACoffee · 22/12/2019 00:00

Hi all, I'm going to Malta in the Summer for a family wedding. We want to make a beach holiday of it beforehand. Where would you suggest we go, for around a week?

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 22/12/2019 05:10

Gozo is the place for a real rest, taking you back to the pace of life in the 1950s. Locals love the British and are very family orientated.
For sandy beaches, head to Melleiha, Paradise Bay or Golden Sands. On family holidays, you'll probably want to avoid Blackpool-likeBuggibaa and clubby Paceville in St Julian's.

Please
or

Greyhound22 · 22/12/2019 05:35

Maltese here. Anywhere apart from St. Julians (Paceville) as it's become a bit rough.

You will be a bit disappointed if you want a beach holiday as it's mainly rock 😬 in fact me and my Dad hate sand as we can't cope with it.

Mellieha is my personal favourite but it's a bit out of the way - however is probably best for you if you want a beach. It's got some nice places to eat and a nice square that is lit up at night. I think Sliema is good for tourists but no real beach - however you have to think it is a tiny island that you can drive across in no time. If you are hiring a car please be careful - driving in Malta is not for the faint hearted. Although they are generally good natured with it (I got a standing ovation last time when I went round an island the wrong way) they are generally nutcases on the roads.

Please
or

Wiltshire90 · 22/12/2019 05:43

We always go to Gozo. You can get some good deals on the Kempinski hotel or on houses with a pool. There are a few sandy beaches on Gozo and lots of clear blue swimming spots. Really laid back island with great food.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 22/12/2019 18:19

I didn’t like Silema much but adjoining Valletta is lovely. We had a couple of days in Silema before moving on to Ramla Bay right up in the north of the island. It’s pretty remote but pretty and very close to the ferry to Gozo. Malta is a mixed bag but under rated and both Mdina and Valletta are extremely attractive towns with a huge amount of history.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?