Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Just checked weather forecast!!

19 replies

4cupsofcoffee · 26/10/2019 11:51

Hi I am traveling to the Maldives on 1st November for 6 days. I’ve just looked at the weather forecast and it says rain and storms for the whole week. How accurate is this likely to be and if so... would it ruin our holiday?

Just checked weather forecast!!
OP posts:
Please
or

Redtartanshoes · 26/10/2019 12:55

Is it not the case that there is usually a storm in the afternoon then it’s nice again?

Please
or

melissasummerfield · 26/10/2019 12:58

I think its the end of the wet season so while it will still be warm it will be rainy on and off

Please
or

4cupsofcoffee · 26/10/2019 13:30

I feel so angry I researched this and found that November-April is the best time to go. Im confused I thought October was the end of the wet season.

OP posts:
Please
or

FunnyInjury · 26/10/2019 13:35

I'm not sure 1st November was ever a good time to go if rainy season ends October. There will always be the tail-end of rainy season, it doesn't switch off like a tap.

It will be warm rain though Grin and if it's a romantic few days you are after, the hotels are usually bloody lovely so I'd plan an indoor holiday Wink

Please
or

4cupsofcoffee · 26/10/2019 14:20

I’ve heard people go in the rainy seasons so it can’t be that bad. Do you know if they would cancel our boat trips?

OP posts:
Please
or

Justmuddlingalong · 26/10/2019 14:25

It will probably mean the chance of a storm or downpour is high, but possibly not rain all day every day.

Please
or

Mama1980 · 26/10/2019 16:45

Tbh yes if it's pouring/stormy they probably will in my experience.
I went quite a while ago though.

Please
or

magicstar1 · 26/10/2019 17:03

I went on 4th November last year, and had pretty much the same forecast. November is the end of the rainy season...the prices go up in December as there is a big improvement in the weather.
We had two days of heavy rain where we couldn’t do much but sit around, but the rest of the time was lovely.

Please
or

magicstar1 · 26/10/2019 17:05

Also, the Maldives is a huge area. The forecast is for the city of Malé where the airport is...how far away will you be? We were about an hour by speedboat and got completely different weather.

Please
or

eurochick · 26/10/2019 17:24

We've just been there the past week. We had one day where it was cloudy pretty much all day with some really heavy downpours. The other days there was the odd shower. Even when it's raining it's warm though, so you can still snorkel, dive and swim. The islands are so small they don't hold the rain clouds so most showers just pass straight over.

Please
or

eurochick · 26/10/2019 17:26

Btw we've been a few times at different times of the year and there is always a risk of a tropical shower. The biggest issue for us is that poorer weather tends to mean the sea bed gets stirred up so the visibility for snorkelling isn't great.

Please
or

4cupsofcoffee · 26/10/2019 17:37

It’s 35 minutes away from Male by seaplane

OP posts:
Please
or

magicstar1 · 26/10/2019 17:46

You should be fine. I just had a look on fb at the place I was at. Someone posted today how the forecast was rain all week, but that it’s been great. Couple of small showers in the afternoon but that’s all.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Please
or

sorrythisusernameisinuse · 26/10/2019 17:46

I'm in St Lucia atm and it's hurricane season. It's 31 and only had one short burst of rain so far in the few days we've been here. It's forecasted everyday though as it's that season. I wouldn't worry

Please
or

4cupsofcoffee · 26/10/2019 17:52

Thank you everyone for your help! 🤭🤭😘 im excited now fingers crossed

OP posts:
Please
or

Stopyourhavering64 · 27/10/2019 05:16

We went to Maldives in mid September (Kandolhu) , knowing it was towards end of rainy season , and had couple of wet days, still lovely and warm and relaxing...downpours often only last a few hours and then it brightens up, its quite dramatic watching the storm out at sea heading across the ocean
try not to let any bad weather dampen the holiday mood...the islands are amazing and the water is so warm and brilliantly clear...When it rained, I had a couple of spa visits , read my book and sampled some cocktails....enjoy your holiday - we're now bitten by Maldivitis!

Please
or

Lovemenorca · 27/10/2019 05:20

If crap weather in Maldives, yes will likely spoil your holiday.

However... it’s not a great time to go weather wise. It was s risk when you booked so presumably got good price.
I went peak, best weather, early March. Was exquisite weather every day. But paid peak price (no regrets though, False economy not to IMO)

Please
or

Mrscog · 27/10/2019 05:29

Is that the Apple weather app? It’s notoriously shite. Download the met office and dark skies, those combined will give you a better picture. Dark sky for when you’re there - it tells you to the minute when to expect rain.

Please
or

ballsdeep · 27/10/2019 05:33

We went in August before. It was boiling and we had one storm which was amazing to watch. It cleared up and the sun shine again. Have a brilliant time

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?