Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Must do/see around Weymouth plse?

18 replies

unicorn · 08/05/2004 23:14

We're going over half term - just for a couple of days but just wondered what the best things are to go and do/see with dd1(5) ds2(2) given we don't have much time.

OP posts:
Please
or

Freddiecat · 09/05/2004 20:50

Unicorn - going on holiday there soon too. So far my research has thrown up a Sea Life Centre in Weymouth and also Monkey World near Wareham. There is also Chesil Beach which is a world class fossil beach.

Please
or

cuppy · 09/05/2004 20:53

CAtch a bus to Portland Bill - will take about 40 mins to get there.

Please
or

Tommy · 09/05/2004 21:50

Monkey World, definitely and Sea Life Centre. Also, for free there is a wildlife park next to the Sea Life Centre, Abbotsbury Swannery, a few farms and things where you can pet animals etc, the beach is great even if it's not sunny and it has a little fair ground and a train there. My PIL live there so we go on holiday all the time!

Please
or

unicorn · 09/05/2004 21:52

Cheers Tommy,Freddiecat and cuppy- Top Tips!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Tommy · 09/05/2004 22:04

Also, the harbour looks like Balamory as all the houses are painted different colours!
If you're really stuck, you could visit my MIL - she loves children and bakes really nice cakes!

Please
or

Tommy · 09/05/2004 22:15

DH just reminded me of Sharky's - soft play place - very good if it's raining - right down by the sea front.

Please
or

unicorn · 10/05/2004 12:12

Tommy..
like the idea !! surrogate Granny by the sea who bakes cakes!!!!- love it- maybe you can advertise her services on MN !!
We're staying at the Haven site (hopefully will be ok ?)

OP posts:
Please
or

Tommy · 10/05/2004 14:00

You can see the Haven place from MIL's house! Haven't been there but loks fine to me!
Have lots of fun

Please
or

Tommy · 10/05/2004 14:01

Or even looks fine

Please
or

Mermaid2 · 10/05/2004 14:10

The Swanage Railway which runs from Corfe Castle to Swanage. Really brilliant and very pretty.

Please
or

unicorn · 10/05/2004 14:11

ooer mermaid- is that close.?.. my ds2 is a big train fan....sounds nice...

OP posts:
Please
or

Mermaid2 · 10/05/2004 14:17

Hi Unicorn, Corfe Castle is on the map and so is the Railway. I would say its about 20 mins from Weymouth (inland). Think you can go through Wareham to get there. You park at Corfe (massive car park specifically for the trains) and basically they come along pretty regularly. They are steam engines and there are loads of stops on the way. Our kids loved it.

Please
or

unicorn · 10/05/2004 14:19

brilliant- will def look into that!
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

bigheart · 10/05/2004 20:37

I live about 5 minutes from Weymouth -used to clean caravans at the Haven site! Weymouth is a lovely place, most weekends ds (age 6) and I go and potter about there. The sea life centre has been mentioned, it's lovely to park at the pavillion and then walk the whole length of the seafront to get there (even a little train that goes most of the way, for tired legs!!) We did it last weekend - it's over a mile, but a very flat easy amble with lots of things to look at. A new crazy/mini golf has just opened by the sealife centre, we weren't impressed, went in for half price as it was first day and it cost a fiver for the two of us, and were done in 20 minutes. Pay £1 per person and do it down on the sand instead!! Could waffle on for ages about sunny Weymouth!! Enjoy!

Please
or

bigheart · 10/05/2004 20:41

try this website

Please
or

unicorn · 13/05/2004 16:53

thanks bigheart - can't wait- it looks really nice just hope the weather is nice.

OP posts:
Please
or

unicorn · 12/06/2004 17:52

just to let you know we all had a fab time... Weymouth is lovely and loads to do in and around area... we went to Abbotsbury (missed swans) but went to playbarn/farm kids loved.
Went on the beach, saw Portland Bill and generally enjoyed the weather.
Tommy you are so lucky having a MIL living there!!

OP posts:
Please
or

unicorn · 12/06/2004 17:53

and you too bigheart v lucky!![envy}

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?