Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Do most Unis run offer holder days?

Tenpastseven · 09/11/2020 20:45

I’m feeling optimistic following the vaccine news and thinking ahead to the possibility that DS might actually be able to look at the Unis he chose in real life in order to make his final decision for firm/insurance choices.

Do all Unis tend to offer offer holder open days? He’s got Cambridge, Bristol, Newcastle, UCL and Southampton on his long list though I realise he may not get offers for them all.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LIZS · 09/11/2020 20:55

Southampton and UCL do. They and others may also do applicant days, some including an interview, before offering too. Cambridge didn't because you usually visit as part of the assessment process.

Please
or

mimbleandlittlemy · 09/11/2020 21:12

Newcastle do. Ds was due to go in February but Storm Dennis got in the way. Storm Dennis, innocent days before other obstructions!

Please
or

mimbleandlittlemy · 09/11/2020 21:13

Newcastle does. Not do.

Please
or

Tenpastseven · 09/11/2020 21:15

Oh great! Fingers tightly crossed that they may organise them for the Spring. I haven’t envied this year’s applicants having to make decisions based on virtual open days.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tenpastseven · 09/11/2020 21:16

Thank you @mimbleandlittlemy and @LIZS 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

mimbleandlittlemy · 09/11/2020 21:20

Ds ended up doing a virtual offer holder day at Warwick and he really enjoyed it but he had had the advantage of having been there. I think it’s so tough on them this year - but then I know various kids who end up going to unis they hadn’t seen —because they couldn’t be arsed—

Please
or

mimbleandlittlemy · 09/11/2020 21:20

Why doesn’t strike through work on iPad?

Please
or

Tenpastseven · 09/11/2020 21:55

I wouldn’t even know how to do it regardless of device. Ha.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AChickenCalledDaal · 09/11/2020 22:07

DD was invited to an offer holder day at the Cambridge college which made her an offer. But I don't know if all colleges run them.

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 09/11/2020 22:46

Cambridge does depend on the college - DDs had an offer holders event which an overnight stay, sleeping bag on a first year's floor.

And other places may depend on the subject - all of her other choices including Southampton interviewed and those included good department and accommodation tours so there was no need for an offer holders day as well.

Please
or

tunnocksreturns2019 · 09/11/2020 22:50

At the uni I work at ours are mostly held Nov-April, so most will almost certainly be virtual - but those can be very valuable too

Please
or

Tenpastseven · 09/11/2020 22:58

Thanks @AChickenCalledDaal and @ErrolTheDragon.

But 😭😭😭 @tunnocksreturns2019. My bubble has burst (and not in the contemporary self isolation sense) . Don’t you imagine they’ll delay them?

OP's posts:
Please
or

tunnocksreturns2019 · 09/11/2020 23:25

Sorry! And tbh I don't know for sure, and universities vary a lot in terms of the number of these they hold and when. So definitely worth having a look on the relevant uni websites - there may well be info on there re plans

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 09/11/2020 23:45

I'd be a bit surprised if the unis would want to try to plan anything other than virtual for this academic year. Too much uncertainty re lockdowns, the vaccine won't be rolled out that quickly, certainly not to all the school and student ages.

Seeing places for real is obviously great, but hopefully going forward unis will keep virtual events in the mix - it could be a real boon for widening access for students with constraints on ability to travel. If I was involved in such things that's where I'd put the effort now.

Please
or

Tenpastseven · 10/11/2020 08:26

Ha. Thanks @tunnocksreturns2019 and @ErrolTheDragon. I know you’re both right, I was just hoping against hope. I don’t think the virtual events are going to offer DS what he needs. But I will plan to take him to the cities to have a look round/get a feel in Spring.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BackforGood · 13/11/2020 00:45

I'd be a bit surprised if the unis would want to try to plan anything other than virtual for this academic year. Too much uncertainty re lockdowns, the vaccine won't be rolled out that quickly, certainly not to all the school and student ages.

This ^

I was hoping that my middle dd, who finished her degree this Summer might have had her Graduation rearranged for the Spring, but it is looking less and less likely now that it will ever happen. Sad
I can't see 'offer days' being held in person this Spring. The whole country is being encouraged not to use public transport and not to mix with other people if it isn't strictly necessary. The fact that lots of Universities don't hold offer days, and, where they do, lots of applicants don't attend suggests that these aren't 'essential', even though they would be helpful to this years Yr13s in particular Sad

Please
or

alirohat · 13/11/2020 16:55

DS1 went to 5 in 2018 - really useful to help back up his gut feelings re choices - at most of them there were parent sessions too. DS2 UCAS form went today - its going to be very different I think - can't pin hopes / decisions on there being offer days - that will be a bonus!

Please
or

Needmoresleep · 15/11/2020 00:03

Be warned. If it is a competitive course where decisions are being made right up until the deadline, there is a chance that offers will come in after any offer holder days.

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 20/11/2020 08:08

DD went to the Newcastle offer holder day in 2019, wondering if she had made the right decision, by the end of the day she was confident that she had. She is in her second year now and loves Newcastle.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.