Please or to access all these features

General health

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Dental dilemma. Conflicting advice and possible poor treatment. what would you do now?

4 replies

NorwichMom · 17/09/2026 20:14

So for complicated reasons i currently have two nhs dentists. The second one only recently and the plan was to visit the second dentist for a check up, decide which I liked better and leave one. I’m still struggling to work out what to do complicated by what’s happened over the last couple of months.

So dentist A tells me I need a root canal but they won’t do it on the nhs and a colleague in the practice will do it privately for over 1k.

while contemplating root canal or extraction I get a phone call after being on a waiting list for ages for dentist B, and I think great maybe they will do it on the NHS.

so I go and see them, I don’t tell them I also have dentist A. They say I need a root canal and they won’t do it on the NHS or even private as are so busy.

so I go back to Dentist A dental practice and see their private expert and pay a bit over 1k for a root canal on my back upper molar. They say come back in a few weeks for a £350 crown on the NHS. I go back for this crown appt which is with dentist A, she looks a bit shocked and asks why her colleague filed so much of my tooth down. I’m like 🤷‍♀️. She says come back in four weeks for the crown appointment. I go back and by now this tooth is sensitive/painful to pressure. It’s not hurting all the time but i can’t eat that side. I tell her this, she taps it hard with an instrument and I flinch. She declares she can’t do it as if the root canal has failed it’s a waste of money. And makes me an appointment to come back in Oct to see if the pain has settled.

today I’m due a check up at dentist B. So I think great I can get a second opinion. Dentist b says I barely have any tooth left, it’s all filling. Says she would not be able to put a crown on it, her recommendation is I do not have a crown. She says if I was to have a crown it would just keep falling off. I believe to have the crown fitted I need even more filing down. She said having a crown could make things worse. Keep in mind she doesn’t know I have dentist A.

so is dentist B just not wanting to be arsed doing it. Or is she correct and dentist A is a cowboy who is prepared to do a risky crown. Or is dentist A just a better dentist and thinks she can manage? Or maybe dentist A doesn’t want to admit there’s not enough tooth to do it because it paints her colleague in a bad light.

i said to dentist b will I not have problems if I don’t have a crown. She said not necessarily. And if I do I will just need it pulling out.

i have no idea what to do. I’m also annoyed with the private dentist who did the root canal and I feel he has butchered my tooth and shouldn’t have done it. That he just took my 1k and has fucked my mouth up. Have no idea if I have grounds for complaint about him.

OP posts:
LIZS · 17/09/2026 20:20

It must have been pretty obvious to B that you had been treated elsewhere. A is adopting a wait and see approach. Do you want a crown or not?

LIZS · 17/09/2026 20:22

And B may simply not want to take on responsibility for A’s work

NorwichMom · 17/09/2026 20:26

Yes B knows that I’ve paid privately for a crown because B was too busy to do it privately. When B said I needed the root canal they told me I’d have to find another dental practice to do it but to come back and have the crown done on the nhs.

if the crown is going to make my tooth better I’d like it. If it’s going to cause more problems I don’t. One dentist says it’s best to have it done as long as tooth isn’t painful and the other says don’t risk it. So I have no idea.

OP posts:
NorwichMom · 17/09/2026 20:29

I’m also going back to maxfax at the hospital soon to have a wisdom tooth removed. I saw them last prior to my root canal and they did say if I didn’t have the root canal they could also remove this molar at the same time. But I said I was going to have root canal. So I’ve only signed the consent for the wisdom tooth. I don’t know if they would remove the second tooth for me at the same time if I asked them now or if I’d have to go back on a waiting list.

imwish I’d said pull them both out.

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page