Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is this a b12 deficiency or not?

Anonnnnnnm · 24/05/2022 18:30

B12 132 ng/l, folate 2.5

Struggling to get doctor to bother to respond to me. Dunno if I'm being dramatic or whether I actually do need meds.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Idhatetolookintothoseeyes · 24/05/2022 18:55

Our lab “normal” is above 150 for B12 & >5 for folate but suggest replacement B12 if symptomatic even if above 150.
labs do have different reference ranges but those figures do look pretty low.

are you vegan/vegetarian? If not they may need to do further tests, such as parietal cell antibody blood test, to see if you have pernicious anaemia, & coeliac disease blood test to see if there is an absorption issue /cause or if you need to make dietary improvements.

if you can’t get to speak to a Dr, and are feeling awful, maybe email the practice manager. Our GP’s would have contacted you and arranged for you to start injections, or at least have sent you a text saying you are low and asking you to book in with the nurse to start injections.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Please
or

Anonnnnnnm · 24/05/2022 18:59

@Idhatetolookintothoseeyes thank you SO much for your reply! I'm so tired all the time, this was actually found by total accident but now I know it can be treated I'm really anxious to get started. I just thought I was down in the dumps, tired, forgetful etc. I nearly called the doctors a couple months ago as I literally felt like I had dementia or something and now I feel like this is why.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian. Hopefully I will hear something tomorrow!

OP's posts:
Please
or

user1471462115 · 24/05/2022 19:02

Do you know your Vitamin D levels, as they are often low when B12 is low.

Please
or

Anonnnnnnm · 24/05/2022 19:07

@user1471462115 I don't unfortunately. All I know is my platelets were very slightly high. Monocytes very slightly high. Potassium very slightly high. Bilirubin low. This all means nothing to me!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Idhatetolookintothoseeyes · 27/05/2022 14:56

I literally felt like I had dementia or something

that’s how I felt! Low B12, low vitamin D & low iron. I’d previously only felt this bad when I had an untreated underactive thyroid!

I hope you’ve managed to speak to someone to discuss your results & treatment going forward. Hopefully you will feel better soon.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.