Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

penstemon

beccahamlet · 28/06/2022 20:41

i've got a new penstemon which i planted last year. it came up lovely and healthy and flowered a few weeks ago. Then it went all dead and sad looking so i thought 'oh dear - that's it for the year' and ive cut it all back. I've just googled it and it says they should flower all summer. What's happened?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Eggnoggoanngoanngoann · 29/06/2022 08:26

Maybe weavels? Dig it up and check the roots. Tbh i dont grow them either. Im always reading articles on the vurtues if them and how they bloom forever but they just didnt do well where i live in our sandy soil. Will be checking in on thread to see if u and me both were doing something wrong. Haha. Happy planting!

Please
or

beccahamlet · 29/06/2022 09:49

It's in a huge planter with some other stuff and that's doing fine. I'll have a root round ( ;-0 ) at the roots.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HelloMist · 29/06/2022 17:47

I came on for penstemon troubles as well! Hope yours will be OK.

Mine hasn't flowered in a few years, just lots of healthy leaves. I decided to move it to see if a sunnier position helps, but I'm now regretting it because it's wilted badly ๐Ÿ™it didn't the next day. Possibly transplant shock/root damage, will water it more carefully and cross my fingers it perks up!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.