My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This forum is for Health Care Professionals including student nurses, junior doctors and adult nurses.

HCP Chat

Retirement

4 replies

abouttoexpire · 06/02/2021 12:30

I am nearly the big 6-0 and was hoping to go on a bit longer but recently I've just had enough.
I am in a clinical role but also manage a team that's about to be doubled in size. I just don't feel motivated or excited about all the changes coming up. And I feel a bit too old as well.
My pension will be half what I earn at the moment plus the lump sum .
So I'd have to do some work to continue with my current life.
How easy is it to pick up work?
I don't really want to continue with what I do now community work or go into a hospital.
Have applied to do vaccinations but haven't heard back.
What about work outside the NHS ?
Any ideas ? I'd really only want to do a couple of days a week.

OP posts:
Nuffalready · 16/02/2021 18:47

Have you thought about agency 111? Don't know where you live but I did this very p/t on agency basis for couple of years. Paid well but need to do some unsocials..F/t training course before (paid) - used to be 5 or 6 weeks.. worth a thought?

Sully129 · 16/02/2021 19:01

I totally get where you are coming from. I retired at 55 (stressful NHS job, and had enough etc ) Due to a change in my personal circumstances I found myself back at work at 58. I felt I was unable to take on the stress of a management role so I ended up doing a lower paid, less stressful, clinical role still within the NHS.
I might add that I did apply for lots of different types of jobs but really my skill set was still with people in the clinical setting. I absolutely love it and the people I work with are amazing. I get my pension and this just supplements it.
There is also the option of bank work as others have suggested.

abouttoexpire · 19/02/2021 21:35

Thankyou
I have been offered a bank role by a different trust but it's soooo much less money.
Now I'm thinking I'll just try and make it through this year and stop once and fir all.
Just feel like crying when I think of the year ahead.
Could all be so much worse could be down a coal mine I guess !

OP posts:
gingercat02 · 11/04/2021 16:28

@abouttoexpire have you considered flexi retirement? You take your pension and can continue to work part time as long as you don't earn more than your full time salary (pension and pt salary combined)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.