My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


Told dp I want to seperate

7 replies

bordellosboheme · 10/02/2014 22:10

His house. I have 1ds who is just 2yo and 2 dogs. No property. Not married. Where do I go? Please give me some help and advice!

OP posts:
JeanSeberg · 11/02/2014 14:16

Is it his son too?

bordellosboheme · 11/02/2014 15:05

Yes, his son

OP posts:
JeanSeberg · 11/02/2014 15:17

From my limited knowledge, unless you had a cohabitation agreement, his only obligation is to provide for his child, not you. Perhaps get some advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Is it likely to be amicable?

MikeWazowski · 11/02/2014 15:51

I was in this situation 2 years ago, your local council have a duty of care towards you and will have to help. Providing you have been registered in their ares for a certain amount of time you will be entitled to housing benefit and other allowances. You should then be able to apply to be on the local housing register. Get in touch with your local council housing office ASAP and the tax credits office as well. As soon as you are not a couple your tax credits will change, probably in your favour, even if you are still under the same roof. Also speak to your local citizens advice bureau, they are very helpful. HTH. Pm me if you want more advice x

bordellosboheme · 11/02/2014 17:11

Mike that is a massive help. I have a form from the housing thingie (not done this before) but is it better to speak directly to them, rather than just post off the form and wait?

OP posts:
MikeWazowski · 11/02/2014 18:08

Give them a call if you can, you'll probably still have to complete the form but they should be able to advise you of waiting times and procedures etc, at least then you are in control a bit, they'll put your mind at rest - check their website as well, you may well be able to apply online and just post copies of necessary paperwork to them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.