Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Character with Down's Syndrome in (older) children's book- advice wanted :)

naomi141 · 08/04/2019 12:02

Hi!

I'm currently writing a fantasy book for older children. One of my characters has Down's Syndrome and I am looking for some advice from people with first-hand experience (either through having Down's Syndrome themselves, or through having a child, sibling, etc who does).

Without going into too much detail, the story exists within a hidden community in our world, where people able to wield magic are responsible for protecting the world from all sorts of supernatural baddies. The magical community does not discriminate against people of different abilities, so my character with Down's Syndrome does not face discrimination or prejudice within her world (but may do when interacting with the 'ordinary' (read none-magic) world.

Would anyone be willing to chat to me, either through this board or privately? I would be eternally grateful and, (should this book ever see the light of day) I would, of course, thank you in print.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Namechange8471 · 08/04/2019 12:04

Hi I work with people with down syndrome and would love to help

Please
or

naomi141 · 10/04/2019 12:55

That's amazing, thank you Namechange 8471. Can I ask the age of the people you work with? (any age group will be very helpful, but may change the questions I ask :) )

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.