Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Covid

Trump news conference, 4.30pm. I think he's found a vaccine...

141 replies

Helenj1977 · 18/03/2020 11:40

Did you hear that on BBC? How amazing would that be.

OP posts:

MrsSnitchnose · 18/03/2020 19:34

Sugarpea123 · 18/03/2020 19:57

I hope he's not going to be all braggadocious about it 🤔

ChardonnaysPetDragon · 18/03/2020 20:20

Everybody's working on a vaccine.

It'll be like the busses when they finally make it.

MrsJoshNavidi · 18/03/2020 20:27

It’ll be the greatest vaccine ever

We've had some pretty big vaccines in the past. I give you polio for starters. How would you have liked to have spent the rest of your life in a metal lung?

Bluntness100 · 18/03/2020 20:32

There are apparantly sixty seven treatments and vaccines now moving into human trial stage globally.

It’s likely we will have a treatment soon, as it seems authorities will need to decide whether to give patients who are going to die it or not, or just let them die. So seems sensible they give them the treatment drugs.

As always though prevention is better than cure so a vaccine is the ultimate aim.

ChardonnaysPetDragon · 18/03/2020 20:39

We've had some pretty big vaccines in the past. I give you polio for starters. How would you have liked to have spent the rest of your life in a metal lung?

Could agree more with you. Polio, Mumps, Rubella, German teases. All great.

But not Trump level great. Oh no.

Gorse · 18/03/2020 20:41

Southampton university is trialing now, today, a new drug specifically for asthma and COPD patients. They're using it on people tested positive for Corona virus.

Butterymuffin · 18/03/2020 20:45

Absolutely @Bluntness100 - hopefully both treatments and a vaccine will be available sooner than we could have hoped. Given that surely every suitable scientific research team around the world will be prioritising this. Just hope Trump can be stopped from sticking his oar in when it actually emerges.

ChardonnaysPetDragon · 18/03/2020 20:53

Also, do you always take everything so literally?

MrsJoshNavidi · 19/03/2020 14:27

Only when people make ridiculous statements.

SoupDragon · 19/03/2020 15:21

Only when people make ridiculous statements.

🤦🏻‍♀️

ChardonnaysPetDragon · 19/03/2020 15:28

I honestly don’t know what to say, and that dose happen often.

DGRossetti · 19/03/2020 15:29

I think this thread is showing that the old adage about humour not surviving the internet is pretty spot on ...

TheLinerunner · 19/03/2020 15:44

"We're looking at things to make people better"

Trump is on live again now, gibbering about people dying, getting better, dying again. Beautiful deaths. The best. Medicine. America. Virus. Horrible virus.

Helenj1977 · 19/03/2020 15:46

I'm missing it 😭

Any vaccine yet?? 😂

OP posts:

DGRossetti · 19/03/2020 15:47

I'm missing it

You're not. You're really not.

Helenj1977 · 19/03/2020 15:49

He makes me laugh, the way he adds his own comments to things.

Its like a comedy but then you remember he is actually the President.

Obama to Trump will baffle me forever.

OP posts:

Helenj1977 · 19/03/2020 15:51

I caved and put it on.

What is chloroquine?? A cure or fake tan??

OP posts:

DGRossetti · 19/03/2020 16:03

What is chloroquine?

It's an anti malarial which has shown some possibility of attacking the corona virus. Beyond that, best left to the experts. No self-dosing with the Schweppes.

Quinine is a pretty nasty compound (like most alkaloid -ines ... strychnine ... morphine ... nicotine ... caffeine ...) I really wouldn't be messing around with it.

Also you'd need 300 G&Ts to get a therapeutic dose, if the "Quaffing" episode of QI we caught last night is correct (it's how we roll in self isolation ...).

If you like conspiracy theories, I reckon that fact has been snuck out to help reduce the moron count by a few hundred. That and "hang gliding cures corona" which I shall start as soon as I get off this thread ....

SoupDragon · 19/03/2020 16:08

Also you'd need 300 G&Ts to get a therapeutic dose

Hmmmm..... 🤔

DGRossetti · 19/03/2020 16:11

Also you'd need 300 G&Ts to get a therapeutic dose [] Hmmmm..... 🤔

Well, if you catch the Quaffing QI, you'll then hear about Clarissa Dickson Wright who (apparently) drank 6 pints of tonic a day for 12 years ...

www.express.co.uk/dayandnight/22125/Too-much-tonic-for-Clarissa

SoupDragon · 19/03/2020 16:13

How about just 6 pints of the gin and a shot of tonic?

DGRossetti · 19/03/2020 16:18

How about just 6 pints of the gin and a shot of tonic?

Let us know Grin.

Not a gin person myself, I have to say. Whisk(e)y or bourbon would be my tipple. Particularly a chardonnay-cask flavoured Glen Moray.

(Other anaesthetics are available)

Starbuck8419 · 19/03/2020 16:20

DO NOT...I REPEAT .... DO NOT LISTEN TO A WORD OF WHAT TRUMP OR HIS IDIOTIC ADMINISTRATION SAY.

If they had a vaccine in the works they wouldn’t be trying to poach (and subsequently get bollocked by WHO) from Germany.

He’s releasing anti-malaria tablets because (and I quote) “they’ve been around for a while so at least we know they won’t kill anyone.”

TheLinerunner · 19/03/2020 16:22

So people with guns, not enough (untested) chloroquine to go round, confusion about payment mechanisms, rapidly escalating cases ... should be fun in NYC and LA

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?