Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Covid

Anyone else with symptoms thinking of getting tested privately for Covid 19

4 replies

user000000000001 · 16/03/2020 23:42

I have mild symptoms and am self isolating for 7 days. I am thinking of getting tested privately as I just NEED to know if this is it or not to put my mind at rest either way. It costs about £375. I’m not loaded but can stretch to this as a one off. Anyone else thinking of getting it done? I admit I suffer with health anxiety and can become quite obsessive with things.

OP posts:
Please
or

bemoreeverything · 16/03/2020 23:44

Instead of wasting money getting tested just follow the advice. FOURTEEN days. Not 7.

Please
or

Mamato2gorgeousboys · 16/03/2020 23:45

What difference would it make to you if you knew for sure? As long as you’re feeling better, that’s all that matters. I, personally, wouldn’t spend £375 on a test.

Please
or

ShowYourself · 16/03/2020 23:46

What if it’s negative but you then develop more severe symptoms, will you have a repeat test? Is it even legit? Those are the things I’d be asking myself. Flowers

Please
or

user000000000001 · 17/03/2020 10:33

Sorry, when I started self isolating and took advice from 111 website on Saturday evening, the advice was still 7 days, I realise this was updated to 14 days yesterday. I just have an overwhelming urge to know if it is or not. I don’t know why. I live with my (very) elderly father in law and my father also has CoPD, Diabetes T2 and high blood pressure. Luckily, I can isolate away from my dad but not so easy in terms of my father in law. We have two young children in the household. I feel like if we know if it is or not we can be more proactive in seeking help for him maybe? He is 91.

The test is from a legitimate private clinic. I don’t know what I would do if it was negative and them developed symptoms again in a couple of weeks.

Sorry about my ramblings. I guess I just don’t like feeling so helpless and out of control with what’s happening around me, and feel like I need to proactively do something.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?