Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

16 month old breastfed daughter, still no periods

9 replies

woodge · 26/03/2003 14:15

Since the new year we've been "casually" trying for another baby with no success yet. Although I'm not too concerned about that I am beginning to wonder where my periods have got to. I still breastfeed my 16 month old 2-3 times a day, I hardly produce any milk and have had a couple of breaks of 3 days recently when work has taken me away. She is using the opportunity for a snuggle which is great, however I would have expected my periods to have returned by now. I know that I could still become pregnant without having had a period but since neither thing is happening I'm getting a little worried that something might be wrong. Anyone with similar experiences? Look forward to hearing from you.

OP posts:
Please
or

Eulalia · 29/06/2003 21:17

woodge - I just came across this thread by accident. Are you still having no periods? Mine still haven't returned with my dd who is now 14.5 months.

Please
or

Dannie · 30/06/2003 21:07

I had only one period between my two first pregnancies and ds and dd were born 21 months apart. I wasn't exactly the all England champion breastfeeder, but I was still feeding at bedtime at 10 months. In the developing world it's the main way of spacing pregnancies (but only spacing, not preventing!)

Please
or

Eulalia · 01/08/2003 19:35

Dannie - I had 9 periods between my two - they are 33 months apart. They were very irregular at first. In fact that is the only 9 I've had in 4 and a half years. I am coming back on here as this thread is now relevant to me. dd is 15 and a half months and no sign of my periods returning. With ds they came back after 13 months post partum. Do periods take longer to return with the second pregnancy?

Also does anyone know anything about taking contraceptives before your periods return? Presumably one would have withdrawal bleeding with the pill. Is it OK to have this 'unnatural' period or should one get a proper one before taking oral contraceptives? We have been using condoms because obviously I could become fertile at any time and we don't want another pregnancy. However dh is getting fed up of using them!

Please
or

Eulalia · 01/08/2003 19:37

Oh and I forgot to say that I am still breastfeeding dd.

Please
or

jasper · 02/08/2003 14:19

Eulalia I went on the mini pill while still bf and no, you don't need to wait for a period before taking it. I think it offers protection after the first seven days of taking it.

Please
or

Eulalia · 02/08/2003 22:37

Thanks jasper. I think I may hang on another month or so as I'd really like to get that first proper period back just so I know everythign is working OK. How are you anyway. Still breastfeeding? I've hardly been on Mumsnet the past few months and am out of touch.

Please
or

jasper · 03/08/2003 00:34

FIne thanks Eulalia, nice to see you back. Yes I am still breastfeedding my baby who is now 17m old.

Please
or

Eulalia · 03/08/2003 19:48

Glad to hear all is fine jasper

Please
or

lisalisa · 04/08/2003 12:23

Message withdrawn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?