My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Chicken pox or hand foot and mouth?

30 replies

Usedtobechilled · 19/11/2023 19:27

My LO is COVERED in spots, they're really bothering him because they are itchy.

He doesn't have many spots on his torso but his legs are covered, round his mouth and his hands look sore and he does have a couple on his scalp.
He doesn't have spots on the palms of his hands or the soles of his feet...
Any way to know for sure which one he has or does it really matter?
He was sent home last week (Tuesday) with suspected hand foot and mouth but it's just went crazy as of yesterday.

Also, any tips? He's still eating, I think it's mainly the itch that's upsetting him. I have a calamine lotion but I don't think that's up to much. He's 11 months so shouldn't really have Piroton. Sleeping it's almost non existent for everyone at the mo.
Thanks

OP posts:
YourNameGoesHere · 19/11/2023 19:29

Do you have a picture?

Usedtobechilled · 19/11/2023 19:43

This is as good as I can get at the mo without him going nuts 😂
Basically the worst ones that appeared first looked almost blistered.
I'm leaning toward HFandM but it's just the scale of the spots and the lack of one's on his palms/feet 🤷‍♀️

OP posts:
Playdoughcaterpillar · 19/11/2023 19:45

I would say HFM. Chicken pox is mainly torso. Would be unusual to have so many on a hand. Better for you as can go to nursery with HFM but not for 5d with CP.

girlwhohasitall · 19/11/2023 19:49

HFM
Hope he has a speedy recovery

Usedtobechilled · 19/11/2023 19:54

OK thanks, he's absolutely miserable at night with it, hoping it clears up soon 😥

OP posts:
Superscientist · 19/11/2023 20:04

Under 1s can have piriton but only on prescription. If the itching is making him unhappy and disrupting sleep it might be worth a call to 111 or the GP to see if antihistamines might help. It's something kept in stock so you normally can collect straight away

gertrudemortimer · 19/11/2023 20:53

I always comment on these threads because I caught it severely when my son got it. Warm water felt like burning on the spots and I lathered myself in any cream I think I used Sudocreme. A cool oat bath helped. Holding anything hurt or touching them. Once they go darker they don't hurt at all. Nails peel off after too but it doesn't hurt

Usedtobechilled · 20/11/2023 21:18

I've another wee question, most people seem to say their LO only had like a few spots but my wee one has it bad, I've attached a pic of his leg. Should I be concerned?
These started on Friday, it's now obviously Monday evening and there are even more today than yesterday. I was hoping we were over the worst of it but I dread to think what he'll look like tomorrow 😔 his bum and his hands particularly look so sore

OP posts:
CourtneyB123 · 20/11/2023 21:22

My son has the exact same a few weeks ago, covered in them, face, arms, bum, not a lot on torse if any. I originally thought HFM but then they blistered and weeped then scabbed over like chicken pox so that's what I've put it down to. My eldest had HFM few years back but literally only had them on his hands feet and mouth. I used virasoothe it's expensive but seemed to really cool the itch, I also used oats in the bath and just kept the areas clean as possible a nails cut short x

Soontobe60 · 20/11/2023 21:22

Usedtobechilled · 20/11/2023 21:18

I've another wee question, most people seem to say their LO only had like a few spots but my wee one has it bad, I've attached a pic of his leg. Should I be concerned?
These started on Friday, it's now obviously Monday evening and there are even more today than yesterday. I was hoping we were over the worst of it but I dread to think what he'll look like tomorrow 😔 his bum and his hands particularly look so sore

I’d speak to the GP tomorrow. It does look like chicken pox to me.

Usedtobechilled · 20/11/2023 21:31

There are almost none on his torso though, only under his chin (very small spots, not like the big blistery spots) and the bottom of his back. I thought chicken pox started on the torso or is that not always the case?

OP posts:
AuntPru · 20/11/2023 21:31

Second pic looks like chicken pox to me, the spots get a dimple and then they scab over. HFM blisters look greyish. AFAIK they can have hundreds of spots when they have CP - mine had several in their hair and a friend's little boy got them on his penis and bottom as well😥Whatever it is, they can feel pretty rotten with it! If he's so unhappy maybe contact the GP for ideas on how to make him more comfortable. If he's 11 months I can't imagine they'll refuse him antihistamines! Steer clear of ibuprofen in case it is indeed CP. Good luck OP, it's the pits when they're so unhappy!

AuntPru · 20/11/2023 21:33

Usedtobechilled · 20/11/2023 21:31

There are almost none on his torso though, only under his chin (very small spots, not like the big blistery spots) and the bottom of his back. I thought chicken pox started on the torso or is that not always the case?

With my eldest the CP started under his chin/ in his neck. Youngest I think it was torso. HFM started in the nappy area and was accompanied by a very sore, hoarse throat. Fever with HFM, not with CP

annlee3817 · 20/11/2023 21:33

This was my Dd's chicken pox, looks very similar to the pic you posted, I ended up getting piriton prescribed by the GP as she was so uncomfortable. Avoid ibuprofen just in case it is and just use paracetamol. Oat baths helped

NaturalStudy · 20/11/2023 21:42

Virasoothe is good. I'm pretty sure the piriton they prescribe is exactly the same as the one you buy over the counter. I just gave my 7 month old a small dose of the shop bought stuff.

TeddyBeans · 20/11/2023 21:48

This was some of my son's HFM when he had it a couple years back. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon and little one feels better!

Usedtobechilled · 20/11/2023 21:54

Oh yea it looks nothing like that 😬
It's looking more likely that it's CP right?
I mean, positive - losing fingernails isn't a chickenpox thing right? 🙏

OP posts:
Superscientist · 21/11/2023 08:07

My daughters chicken pox started in her hair. We thought she had just scratched and irritation a spot. I can't remember where they went after that but. There was a 36h delay between those first stops and it going every where

Usedtobechilled · 21/11/2023 12:20

We're still getting new spots and we're on day 5 from the first spot, he now has blistered lips the wee soul 😥

OP posts:
TeddyBeans · 21/11/2023 13:31

Just found some more pics of his HFM once it was fully established. He didn't lose his nails even though it was a pretty strong case of HFM (from what I was told). It did wipe out the molluscum contagiosum that we'd been batting for a good 6 months though!

annlee3817 · 21/11/2023 21:03

Day 5 tends to be the worse OP and then it gets better. DD1 had a nasty dose of it and was absolutely covered, DD2 had it more sparingly, that pic was her back, but she only had a few on her torso

Usedtobechilled · 22/11/2023 08:59

TeddyBeans · 21/11/2023 13:31

Just found some more pics of his HFM once it was fully established. He didn't lose his nails even though it was a pretty strong case of HFM (from what I was told). It did wipe out the molluscum contagiosum that we'd been batting for a good 6 months though!

It is a bit mental that I'm still unsure whether it's CP or HFM and we're on day 6 since his spots look angrier than other pictures of HFM. There aren't great reference pictures on the Internet but everything does say the colour of the blisters (his look more yellow than grey like CP) but the spots are still mainly in HFM area - around mouth, hands/arms, all up his legs, bum and tops of feet.

I know there's not much difference other than whether we can give him nurofen (we haven't just in case) but it would be good to know for future and for his docs notes 🤷‍♀️

OP posts:
JustACountryMusicGirlInCowboyBoots · 22/11/2023 10:51

Looks like impetigo to me. My ds has similar round his face and am waiting for the GP to get back to me.

Usedtobechilled · 22/11/2023 13:57

What?? Now it's either impetigo, hfm or cp?! 😫 I'm going to pop in to a pharmacy (since GP appointments are like gold dust) and get them to pick one

OP posts:
gertrudemortimer · 22/11/2023 16:10

I still think HFM sorry! I've recently had impetigo and it is similar but it usually happens on the face, eyes, and scalp.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.