Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Baby having operation on Monday - any tips for hospital?

Marmitecatbean · 06/08/2022 15:59

Hi, my 6mo is having major surgery on Monday followed by a week long stay ventilated on PICU. Does anyone have any tips/advice for getting through the surgery and wait? We've been in hospital and PICU before with her but this is her first operation and just very scary. Thank you so much!

OP's posts:
Please
or

YouBoggleMyMind · 07/08/2022 12:08

We took ourselves away from the hospital during the day our DS had heart surgery. We knew it would take most of the day so we made sure we were distracted. This was PICU in Southampton so we knew we'd be able to get to the city centre for a mooch and lunch easily.

Please
or

greyinganddecaying · 07/08/2022 13:03

Sorry to hear this, I know how stressful this can be. As a PP said, make sure you have something to distract you during the surgery - I made the mistake of waiting in the canteen, then surgery took longer than expected, so I spent 4 hours stressing.

We were allowed to go down to theatre (the room outside anyway) with DC, so it might be worth considering if this is something you want to do or not.

Depending on the hospital rules, stock up on snacks so you can maximise your time with DC when back from surgery - I hated having to leave mine, even if just to go to the toilet.

Hope the surgery goes well.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.