My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Had enough of Beast Quest

10 replies

littleburdy · 08/03/2010 12:14

My 8 year old boy has been addicted to Beast Quest, can anyone recommend anything he can move on to? I'd like him to know that there ARE other books out there ....

OP posts:
Takver · 08/03/2010 12:19

Captain Underpants?
Astrosaurs? (Or, slightly easier read, Astrosaurs Academy)
How to Train your Dragon series?

bobblehat · 08/03/2010 12:21

Will second how to train your dragon - brilliant, and there's going to be a film soon as well - ds can't wait!

WorkInProgress · 08/03/2010 12:23

If your son likes animals he might like the Willard Price ' adventure ' series. Bit dated, but my 8 year old loves them.

dolphindotty · 08/03/2010 12:25

Superpowers by Alex Cliff. My nephews love it!

sgd · 08/03/2010 14:46

I can second Superpowers by Alex Cliff my son loves them and its one of the few books he will willing read and have read to him.

mussyhillmum · 11/03/2010 12:05

Funnily enough, I overheard a mum in our local children's bookshop asking this very question this morning! Do you live in North London by any chance?? Anyway, the (very) knowledgeable staff recommended the Fergus Crane series by Chris Riddell.

GordianKnot · 11/03/2010 12:12

jack power - is he one?

zazas · 12/03/2010 21:20

I recently asked this exact same question re my 8 year old DS and they suggested 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' by Jeff Kinney. So got hold of the first three and he is loving them - he hasn't put them down - might have broken the Beast Quest strangle on him!

weegiemum · 12/03/2010 21:24

Astrosaurs and Willard Price big hits with our 8yo, and also Wimpy Kid.

He's also hugely into Asterix at the moment if you don't mind the comic book format - we're having a load of good chats about what the names mean etc ...

He's been picking into his big sisters Lemony Snicket books, and dh is going to go up the loft this weekend and drag down some old Hardy Boys etc which I think he will love.

They're all a bit of a jump from Beast Quest but my ds made it pretty easily (he's a good reader though). Wimpy Kid less so.

Also recently he read 'Stig of the Dump' which he loved - my ancient copy!

SleepingLion · 12/03/2010 21:27

My DS, also a Beast Quest fan, devoured the Jack Stalwart books I got him for Xmas from the Book People - about a boy who is also a secret agent (or something - I have never actually read these books, you understand, I just know that they keep DS quiet )

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.