My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

racking my brains trying to remember a much-loved book - please help!

10 replies

mimsum · 06/06/2009 10:42

I'm desperately trying to remember a trilogy I read when I was about 8 or 9 so we're talking early '70s (eek)

It was set in Ancient Egypt, the main characters were Canaanites - names like Reuben come to mind - it was very funny and some of the characters were cats

In one of the books they travelled into Africa

is this ringing any bells?

My niece has got into Ancient Egypt and I thought she might enjoy it - if it's still in print of course ...

OP posts:
bruffin · 06/06/2009 12:14

"The Moon in the Cloud " Rosemary Harris

You can get it on Amazon but over £30

bruffin · 06/06/2009 12:16

sorry you can get it cheaper

£1.75

Disenchanted3 · 06/06/2009 12:18

oooh whilst here i have one ....

some eerie book about a girl who visits a lost city thats underwater? or the tide comes in to wash the city away again?

its very vauge but it was an odd book, i think there were people there in the village??.

Disenchanted3 · 06/06/2009 12:19

and shes running from the water?

mimsum · 06/06/2009 20:54

thank you so much bruffin - I had moon going round my head but of course that's it

sorry disenchanted - your book's not ringing any bells ...

OP posts:
barbarapym · 08/06/2009 21:32

DS really enjoyed The Ogre Downstairs, which I remembered and got for him after a thread on here. Now trying to remember the names of two similarish books (written in the seventies, Dianna W-J-ish but don't think actually by her) which I also enjoyed at his age.

1. Youngest of a family of children living by the beach finds an old bottle which turns out to have a rather hapless genie inside. Adventures ensue.

1. Family move to old cottage which turns out to have an eighteenth century poltergeist, which they have unwittingly unleashed after knocking a wall down to reveal a secret room in which he has been locked up. Gentle mayhem ensues with the boy getting blamed for poltergeist antics.

Would be really great if anyone can remember these!

Thanks
Stumblebum · 08/06/2009 21:34

barbara pym - is no 2 The Ghost of Thomas Kempe by Penelope Lively?

barbarapym · 08/06/2009 22:01

Ooh yes it is ! Thanks so much stumblebum!!

madamehooch · 28/04/2010 19:06

You can tell I'm putting off the washing up because I'm trawling through some really old posts.

barbara pym - I think No 1 is 'Five Children and It'

But then you probably knew that by now ...

Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 16/05/2010 21:54

Loved the ghost of Thomas kempe. Have it on my shelf right now.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.