My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

"Mystery" type book for teen DD

15 replies

UserStillatLarge · 10/08/2021 15:48

Looking for any recommendations for DD who's 15.

She's just read through all the Karen McManus books (One of us is lying etc). Also enjoyed the Stuart Turton "7 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle". She says she enjoys books with a bit of a mystery behind them.
I'm racking my brains to think of anything else for her to read - I've suggested Agatha Christie (and cherry picked the better ones lol) but can anyone suggest anything else she might like?

OP posts:
CloudPop · 10/08/2021 15:50

What about the Robert Galbraith series ?

CloudPop · 10/08/2021 15:51

Cormoran Strike

tywysoges · 10/08/2021 15:58

DD has also read the Karen McManus books and is now reading one calling “The cheerleaders” by Kara Thomas. I will ask her how she’s finding it. She also picked up a Sherlock Holmes book from the library but she hasn’t started yet.

parietal · 10/08/2021 15:58

you can go retro with the complete sherlock holmes?

Sairafina · 10/08/2021 16:03

Check out the British Library Crime Classics, they have reprinted loads of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction. My faves are

Death Makes a Prophet
Verdict of Twelve
Smallbone Deceased

Modestandatinybitsexy · 10/08/2021 16:03

Holly Jackson's Good Girl Guide to Murder series

Sully84 · 10/08/2021 16:12

The S.T.A.G.S by M A Bennett. Think it’s part of a triology

Ricekrispie22 · 10/08/2021 16:51

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder
We Were Liars
They Wish They Were Us
Truly Devious
All The Bright Places

BlueChampagne · 11/08/2021 11:04

Rebecca
My Cousin Rachel
The Woman in Black

LadyMonicaBaddingham · 11/08/2021 11:06

I absolutely LOVED the Lord Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy L Sayers when I was her age I still do

leafinthewind · 11/08/2021 11:08

Kathy Reich's Virals series are YA murder mysteries which my DD(12) enjoyed.

truetotal · 11/08/2021 11:09

The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is brilliant. It's about a girl who mysteriously inherits millions and has to solve lots of puzzles and clues to earn the money. Bit of teen romance in there as well.

CeeceeBloomingdale · 11/08/2021 11:12

I wouldn't be looking for children's titles, just look at adult fiction of that genre. My 14yo quite likes the Vera books by Ann Cleeves (humour me, they read better than the TV series). Also many modern fiction books fit into a physiological thriller genre which might fit the bill too. Gone Girl, The Girl on the Train, The Magpies etc. It depends whether she likes crime type mystery or just suspense though.

Gladioli23 · 11/08/2021 11:13

Not really super high quality literature but I enjoyed Daisy Dalrymple - set in the 1920s, murder mysteries and quite numerous. I think we got them in a set from one of those sites which sells collections of series. Agreed on the original Sherlock Holmes as well.

Otherwise, Rivers of London has some awkward sex scenes so not sure if suitable, but is a set of magical detective novels. I think you'd probably want to borrow from the library and scan through? First book is awkwardly written but the author is much more in the swing of things by the second and they're very enjoyable. Possibly worth getting out the library to see?

I'm currently reading the Grantchester Mysteries which I think would be totally suitable for a 15 year old from book one, but I haven't read the others yet.

UserStillatLarge · 11/08/2021 13:10

Thank you for all the suggestions! DD has made copious notes.
Ironically we actually own the complete Sherlock Holmes collection and I didn't even think of it ...

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.