My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Best books for 2 year old boys?

12 replies

TuttiFrutti · 27/11/2007 14:55

My ds loves reading (well, having me read him books endlessly, more accurately) but I'm getting so bored of everything we've got. His favourites are the Gruffalo and Dear Zoo, Oh Dear and Buster's Day, and he likes the Thomas books too.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other books he might like?

OP posts:
sleepdeprivationandme · 27/11/2007 15:02

my ds - also 2 has loved 'peace at last'for ages. I have got Burglar Bill for xmas, a bit longer as he gets older.

ja9 · 27/11/2007 15:07

hairy maclary?
other ones in gruffalo series - squash and a squuze, smartest giant in town, monkey puzzle etc.

the large family series - 5 minutes peace, a piece of cake etc.

stringbean · 28/11/2007 10:08

How about the 'Alfie' books by Shirley Hughes? Ds loved these from the age of 2, and there are a lot of them. The illustrations are lovely, and the stories - Alfie is about 3 or 4 and has a little sister called Annie Rose - are very appealing. 'Alfie Gets in First' or 'Alfie's Feet' are probably slightly shorter than the others. 'Dogger' - also by Shirley Hughes - is a lovely story too, about a little boy who loses his toy dog (it has a happy ending!). Ds also liked 'The Tiger Who Came to Tea' by Judith Kerr. Other stories by the Gruffalo author are lovely - 'Room on the Broom' and 'The Smartest Giant in Town' went down well here. If he likes diggers and vehicles then 'Dig Dig Digging' by Margaret Mayo and Alex Ayliffe is worth a lok too.

stringbean · 28/11/2007 10:09

Oops - I mean 'look'!

puddle · 28/11/2007 10:15

Little Red train books are great for boys this age. Rhythmical rhyming text and also really lovely detailed pictures.

DS liked a lot of what has been mentioned here - also Helen Cooper - Pumkin Soup, Where's my teddy and Duck in a truck by Jez Alborough appeal to the 2 yr old sense of humour.

Meg and Mog books were a big favourite too - great pictures and slightly surreal stories.

seeker · 28/11/2007 10:16

Martin Wardell.

Winnie the Witch.

And everything that everyone else has said - especially the Gruffalo woman's other ones!

gladbag · 28/11/2007 10:20

At that age my ds loved.....

Man on the Moon - Simon Bartram (spot the space aliens in each picture)
One Bear at Bedtime - Mick Inkpen (lovely counting book, and have fun finding the catepillars)
10 Little Rubber Ducks - Eric Carle (with a duck squeaker at the end)
Dig Dig Digging, and Emergency - Margeret Mayo (lovely to read aloud, full of different vehicles)
Cars Trucks and Things That Go - Richard Scarry
You Choose - Pippa Goodhart (fantastic for getting him talking, describing and making choices)

bogie · 28/11/2007 10:23

my ds likes wibbily pig, spot, thats not my car/teddy ect

TuttiFrutti · 28/11/2007 21:57

Fantastic lot of suggestions - thanks everyone! Keep them coming if anyone has any more...

OP posts:
ChasingSquirrels · 28/11/2007 22:00

Peepo is lovely
QPootle5
Mick Inkpen - Kipper, Wibbly Pig etc
Nick Butterworth (?) - umm, can't think of any titles
umm, all the toddler books are upstairs in the boys rooms.

pointydog · 28/11/2007 22:13

would a 2 year old boy like anything different to a 2 year old girl?

AllBuggiedOut · 28/11/2007 22:20

Big hits with my 2 year old DS at the moment include

Whatever Next?
The Adventures of Bert
Yellow Bird, Black Spider
You Choose
Pants
Anything Maisy but especially Go Maisy, Go! when he's in the mood for flaps
Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham etc etc
You Can Swim Jim
Two Monsters

Hope this helps!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.