My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

suitable thriller/horror books for DD 10

5 replies

Purpledawn · 20/09/2019 17:25

DD 10, has a new found love for scary things. She's read pretty much all of the goosebumps series, and is currently reading an old point horror book (The Diary) from the school library. Does anybody have any age suitable horror books please? Smile

OP posts:
whatsleep · 20/09/2019 17:29

The ‘Cirque Du Freak’ Series is worth a look. Not read them personally but very popular with the year 5s and 6s at our school.

pollyhemlock · 20/09/2019 20:04

Try the Skullduggery Pleasant books by Derek Landy

Ricekrispie22 · 21/09/2019 11:23

The Spooks series by Jospeh Delaney
Count Karlstein by Phillip Pullman

selfishcrab · 21/09/2019 11:31

Have a look at Charlie Higson's The Enemy, age rating I think is 11 onwards, I have read the as DS read them and recommended I read them too years ago, they are scary but very good.

MagicMonkie · 30/09/2019 15:53

I'm a big fan of some of the older books, back when horror for kids was a bit weirder :D

Maybe check out Nicholas Fisk, his most famous is Grinny which is brilliant. He also has a good anthology of horror called Sweets from a Stranger.

Also The Demon Headmaster by Gillian Cross.

Nothing to Be Afraid Of by Jan Mark is a great book of short horror stories, as is The Magnet Book of Strange Tales (various authors).

I love that stuff because it's what inspired the modern children's horror, and you can usually pick it up really cheaply.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.