My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Crowdfunding Children's Book About OCD and Social Worker Involvement

0 replies

MHawker · 12/03/2019 21:46

Hi guys,

My name is Max Hawker and I am a 31-year-old father of two, living in Croydon; an OCD sufferer; writer; and I work in children's social care, supporting children leaving the care system to become independent.

I'm here because I've written a children's book, Rory Hobble and the Voyage to Haligogen, about an 11-year-old, suffering from OCD, who goes into space with his social worker to try and rescue his abducted mother - yes, it's quite an adventure! When I was diagnosed with OCD as a child, I found that there was no one in literature I could relate to and I'm hoping to give children a different kind of hero with my book. The condition itself is extraordinarily misunderstood and, for children in particular, can be a very frightening and confusing experience.

Now, I'm in the process of crowdfunding this book through publisher Unbound. I'm confident that there is a significant audience out there for this kind of story.

What I'd be interested to hear from you all is whether you know of any groups - this could be literature groups, mental health support groups or parent groups - that might be interested in hearing me talk about my work, my own experience and perhaps even support my project.

I do look forward to hearing your thoughts!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.